Relaxed/Analog sounding DAC for under $10k (used or new)

Hi all. I'm currently using an Allnic D5000 DHT DAC which I got to replace a denafrips Pontus II not too long ago. While I do enjoy this dac, it can sound a bit forward in higher frequencies at times and can get a bit fatiguing. The 3A5 tubes are a bit finicky and don't last especially long either. It seems to sound best with coax input and with native DSD files, but my streamer only has USB output, and I exclusively stream via Qobuz with no DSD albums, so I'm not sure it's the best long term match from a synergy standpoint for me. I get the feeling that it was designed around being used primarily with a CD transport, which is not something I am interested in ever adding to my system.

My primary listening setup is centered around analog vinyl playback, so that tends to be my point of reference. I prefer laid back and musical sound versus striving for absolute detail retrieval that can sometimes come off a bit too clinical or harsh to me.

Going through various threads, some things stick out to me - T+A D200, SW1X, etc. I've also heard some Lampizator DACs that I liked (though mostly their very high end models that are outside my budget). I know typically people recommend R2R for a more 'analog' experience, but I also know that that is not the end-all-be-all with DACs, and implementation and intention matters a fair amount more. There are some DAC manufacturers that design their DACs around being used with CDs and don't care for streaming, so their performance is not optimized for use with streaming, etc.

Please do not turn the thread into a debate about the merits of R2R vs D-S. Not really relevant to me and I am mainly looking to see what ideas people toss at me.

Anyway, as a TL;DR, looking for a DAC that satisfies these points:

1. Leaning more musical/analog sounding, with a focus on laid back sound that is non-fatiguing;
2. wide soundstage and fantastic imaging;
3. Optimized for PCM streaming audio + USB input;
4. Ideally under $10k (new or used);
5. Black chassis option

Thanks!

128x128mmcgill829

I recently got a t+a DAC 200, subsequent put an uptone switch and optical module and then added a good power supply for the switch. Picked up everything used and reasonably. I think I’ve finally found what I’ve been tweaking for, ie a very clear defined sound stage where I can point to instruments and voices between the speakers. It’s very difficult to stop listening (a “drug”). 😆😆

FYI prior DACs were border patrol, Ayre, Hegel built-in.

Atoll Dac300 is a great sound per dollar option.  Around 3 to 4K.

Review

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/atoll_dac300_e.html

Agree with the DAC shootout article by Verdant.  Informative.

Not to get into the debate of whether DAC's make a difference or whether price contributes.  It's all in the ears of the listener.

PS Audio sounds wonderful at a great deal on price.

Just transitioned from Ayon Audio tube DAC to the new Musical Fidelity NuVista DAC.  Hard to find used or open box but comes in just under your price point.  Comes in black.  As It breaks in - best sounding DAC my own system has had.

And I do believe that a good streamer front end makes a difference

Happy hunting

After trying almost 14 different DACs personally I settled on two for two different rooms -

Audio Mirror Toubadour V -$6000 new and lifetime repairs and support from Valdimir

Merason DAC1 - $6-8K new

I did like the Mola Mola Tambaqui as well but the price of both of those combined above was the price of one mola mola.

I bought a used LampizatOr Golden Gate 1 for about 6 K and sent it in for upgrade to GG3 status including a new VC/OLED display and JL Sounds USB upgrades.  That will get you in the 10K range.  The GG uses DHT's in the output and also has a tube rectifier.  It replaced a Denafrips Terminator Plus.  The DHT's are amazing.  I am using it with an Allnic L-8000 DHT pre-amp.  The Lampi is dead silent in spite of the DHT's.

The upgrade was phenomenal in terms of timbre and tone with fine resolution.  It is the sweet spot in the line up.  However,  I found the S/PDIF better than the USB, not that the USB is not great, but you are back to that.

FWIW, I use an Antipodes S20/S60 DDC to convert USB to S/PDIF, its an improvement over a Denafrips Iris.  I share your observations about USB input.  I also use a Sonore Optical Module and Sonore Signature Rendu to take advantage of the Ethernet output of my Innuos Statement which in my opinion is much cleaner than the USB output.  I'm not saying USB can't be done right, just in my system the Ethernet output and S/PDIF input are superior to USB.