Records not stored vertically for decades

I’m looking to eventually get my vinyl rig back up n running and went to get my albums and found they’ve been lying flat probably for decades in two stacks of about 75 albums in each stack.  Any chance they’re still in good shape, or what damage may have been done versus being stored vertically?  They’ve been in a dry, temperature-controlled basement the whole time.  No way to play them right now so just hoping they might still be ok.  Thanks for thoughts.

soix

@soix I can't say enough positive compliments to the PAVCR Manual Cleaning Method.

It has blown me away to the point the US Tank is unused.

I have purified Albums, I thought I was never to play again when in contact with a Stylus on a on a quality Cart'.

Those Albums I would now let meet any Cart's Stylus and have no fears for the owner of the Cart' showing a concern.

Just play the LPS. If it sounds ok, it is ok.

So simple, just ply!.  LPs are not the best audio format, so I do not spend any extra energy with the LPs. Maybe, somebody, emotionally, thinks the LPs very valuable. But, not me, though I do have >2,000 LPs.

Thanks to all those recommending record cleaning methods/equipment cause I’m gonna really need them and am looking into each and every one.  Back in the day I just used the ol’ Discwasher brush/liquid so I’m sure there’s a ton o’ crap lurking in them grooves.  Also definitely gonna get some good rice sleeves so thanks for that tip too.  Think I’m gonna get to see the records tomorrow so I’ll see what I’m dealing with here. 🤞🤞🤞

Always a good idea to clean your LPs, but I see no reason why horizontal storage would make the LPs any more or less in need of a cleaning.  I disagree that even the bottom-most LPs in the pile would have had dirt driven into the grooves to any greater degree than if the LPs had been stored vertically, because the playing surface per se is not supporting most of the weight exerted downward by the stack.  That force will be mostly resisted by the raised lip around the circumference of each LP and to some degree possibly by the label.  The greater possibility for damage is that the topmost LPs might have developed some warps.  But that you can discover for yourself by simply looking; you don't need to be able to play an LP to determine if it is warped.  Someone else already said as much.