Recommendations for a jazz record which demonstrates vinyl superiority over digital

I have not bought a vinyl record since CDs came out, but have been exposed to numerous claims that vinyl is better.  I suspect jazz may be best placed to deliver on these claims, so I am looking for your recommendations.

I must confess that I do not like trad jazz much.  Also I was about to fork out A$145 for Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" but bought the CD for A$12 to see what the music was like.  I have kept the change!

I love the jazz in the movie Babylon, which features local Oz girl Margo Robbie (the film, not the jazz).

So what should I buy?

128x128richardbrand

Thanks to everybody who has responded so far.

I would have liked to have had more space in the title to make it clear that I am not really looking for opinions on equipment, just for one or more jazz records capable of sounding excellent on vinyl.

I hope to make my own mind up later on the question of digital or vinyl after listening!

It is really interesting to me that some vinyl versions of "Kind of Blue" had some tracks recorded at the wrong speed - apparently fixed on the CD I bought and the A$145 original master recording vinyl (which seems to have been remastered on to DSD-64 before becoming "original" again.

Please keep those suggestions coming ...

OK let's talk about recordings then. IMHO the off speed recording of KOB is integral to the experience of those who originally bought the album when it came out.

Mastering, recording and pressing being essential parts of the experience. It may be heretical to say on an audio forum, but I want to hear the record as the public did at the time, warts and all.

It is great to have speed corrected copies available to those that take the opposite position though. Something for everyone.

@ghdprentice The device that presses the vinyl record is called a stamper. It was not atypical for some firms to use the stampers too long. This was particularly the case with high sales volume records. That’s one advantage of some of today’s reissues for which only a limited number of copies are pressed. 

As to the question of which sounds better vinyl or digital, I agree with those who’ve noted that it depends on the mastering or remastering. My remastered and limited run pressing of Kind of Blue sounds better to me than the digital file on Qobuz, my cd or my original vinyl. But my experience shows no clear answer. 

You should give an original Columbia 6-eye a try. It was not made with 65 year old tapes, but the first side will be slightly sharp. Worth a listen. It may ring your bell, or not.

Because Columbia was a big label, a lot of their records are out there making them cheaper to acquire a first run pressing.  Whatever the reason, perhaps degradation of the master tape, some of the great Columbia first issues are better sounding than digital reissues.  Ellington’s “Blues in Orbit” and Brubeck’sTake Five” comes to mind.  I like my records more than the digital reissues I’ve heard.  This DOES NOT demonstrate any inherent superiority of one medium over another, this is just some incidents where analogue examples sound better.