Raven Nighthawk Mk 3.1 vs Cronus Magnum III

Both American made, same price point where the former is rated at 20 wpc the latter 100.

Which would you choose and why? Or might you look elsewhere, say the Parasound Hint 6?

Thanks for the thoughts.  

128x128sj00884

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

I owned the Nighthawk and Blackhawk.  These were with the now extinct Svetlana Winged C power tubes and NOS .Amperex / Mullard from the factory.  

I then moved on to a Rogue Cronus Magnum II.  

The Ravens sounded excellent, transparent and with a huge sound stage but ultimately they were not powerful enough for my room and speakers. I wanted more impact and scale.   

The Rogue sounded good out of the box but with a few 12AX7/ AU7 tube changes the sound became magical.  Best of both worlds- transparent refinement and 3D sound stage with near solid state power and scale.   

@sj00884 

hi sure.  tried lots of combinations of the best NOS available and the center preamp tube is most important but they all matter.  Amperex 12AU7 sounded best by a mile, off label made by Amerex are available at more reasonable prices.  

front 12AX7 I also liked Amperex but the stock JJs are a good substitute once well burned in (many weeks).

back row 12AU7 I settled on RCA 5814.