Racks, equipment and footers

I would like to get a new rack and isolation footers for the rack and/or equipment. The high-end stuff like HRS, might be best, but it's out of my budget. There are so many choices, especially of footers. I'm thinking of going with a nice enough wood rack for aesthetic reasons and footers under each of the components to maximize performance. The system is upstairs with a wooden floor.  No turntable. Questions:

• should I put footers under the rack and/or just the components?
  •  What about spikes - to drain rather than springs, so I avoid springs interacting with springs
  • if I'm going to put footers under each component, does the material,  construction, weight, etc. of the rack still matter much?
  •  It would be cheaper to just put footers under the rack and leave the components with the rubber feet -  is this less effective?
  • Should I put the same footers under all the components, or is it mix-and-match?

Any thoughts welcome along with specific recommendations on footers.

paullb

If you want a rack made of wood and info on footers for the rack I would check out Massif. If you’re more concerned with a rack with an isolation system designed into the rack I would check out Core Audio Design. Both owners are very knowledgeable and very helpful. You can also get a lot of info from the websites.

@tvad 

Regarding the ringing, I suspect it may have related to using Nobsound springs under gear with tubes in it, as you mention.  The Nobsound springs do not appear to be as well damped as other spring solutions such as Townshend's.  I damped my individual springs (from Century Spring) using loosely applied, very thin wall heat shrink (poked a couple of holes in the heat shrink to prevent an air lock within the spring). Another thing might be what the springs are sitting on.  Mine sit on carpet, which helps.

Both the EVPs and the platinum silicone hemispheres that I currently use are well damped, as would be Herbie's products.  I cannot hear a sonic difference between Herbie's footers (Giant Fat Gliders) and the platinum silicone hemispheres, which I tried after using springs because they behave more like a damped spring than do the Herbie's products, which behave more like the hockey pucks used by @singingg (vulcanized rubber).   IMO, the Herbie's Giant Fat Gliders would work well under the legs of an equipment rack, regardless of whether other footers are used under the individual components.

I am a big fan of Core Audio Design racks, they look beautiful IMHO and acoustic isolation is amazing. I had a plyKraft 3L rack with a TT on the top shelf, jumping up and down in front of it did not make the cartridge skip, no effect whatsoever. Not recommended, tried kicking the rack once, no effect!

A method that has proven extremely well for myself, but always on Concrete Floors, that is ubiquitous in how all Audio Devices seemingly benefit, has been to build a substantial Plinth to build the Rack Upon.

The next substantial improvement where Vinyl as a Source is concerned is to Brace the Racks to become extremely rigid.

I can't vouch for the Braced Rack for a Digital Source, as many years past, I transferred these devices to a Industrial Type Gallows Bracket, which is Wall Mounted, to create a Shelf System.

The Brackets have a absorbent decoupling material between them and the Wall. The Shelves are Isolated from the Bracket Support and Audio Devices are Isolated from the Shelves.

This method works exceptionally well for the Digital Source and saved me having to expand on the footprint taken up of the Plinth and Rack below.

I have become an advocate of Solid Tech Feet of Silence Type Footers.

I an not familiar with the New Type where the suspension is Horizontally Orientated, but the good news is version of this type are available from other suppliers at a much more affordable cost.

Solid Tech also supply Rack Systems that utilise their suspension methods to separate the Tiers. 

Solid Steel racks work well in my system.  Reasonably priced, very sturdy (each shelf will easily hold 200 pounds.)