Quad or Magnepan?

Dear friends,

Thinking about taking the plunge and follow the other route to audio nirvana. So instead of cones and domes, electrostatics and planars maybe.

I am using a Ref3a Grand Veena but am considering a Maggie 3.6 or a Quad 2905.

Need your sincere advice, am I downgrading or making the wiser move. If it is the right way, which would you prefer? Maggies or Quad?

Thanks as always.
ahmet1969
These are both good speakers. I would also consider the Kingsound King, which I reviewed.
I think it depends on the type of music you listen to. I love Maggies and have owned them for years, the do need a big, good, amp and placement is important, but not as much as related on these forums.

That said, I love the Quads, great speakers. For a smaller room, and jazz, vocal or smaller orchestral arrangements, the Quads are sublime.
From my experience selling maggies years ago and listening to a few Quads at Overture Audio in Delaware about two years ago, the 2905's specifically, I would go for the Maggies by far regardless of all other concerns if you have a good amp and room space as Quads need that too. The Quads seemed to have a homogenized sound that kept saying "SHHHHHH" as if they were telling me to stop talking. They sound like that ... cymbals especially. Shimmering is one thing, but they sounded that way much of the time overall. The dipole effect was severely noticeable as I got within about eight feet in front of them and is not as noticeable with the Maggies; be it with or without toe-in. Yes, I do thoroughly understand the physics of sound cancellation to the sides. Plus, the Maggies let you position the tweeters to the insides or outsides as you prefer or your room needs for tighter and better imaging or a wider soundstage. That option can also help them function better in your room due to size, wall and ceiling arrangements, etc. There is also good and valid reasons why Audio Research uses Maggies to test and voice their gear on for decades now. The Maggie is taller too, so it will naturally throw a higher soundstage, and does. I hope this helps you.
i find it interesting when a reference loudspeaker is kicked to the curb. i suspect you're bored.
These are such different speakers that I wonder how you narrowed it down to them?