Qs about Grace F-9 U cartridge

Hello, I read here, on the forum; a long discussion about this cartridge with many enthusiastic (even ecstatic) opinions.

I would like to know is it really an absolutely outstanding cartridge and which version is worth acquiring (because there are many). I understood that a "ruby" version is very good but what about a " U " version. I am proposed Grace F-9U

in a very good condition (see pics

for some 500 usd. Do you think the price is correct?

Thank you very much

Serge

serge8

There is a Grace F9E for $350 + $10 shipping from eBay seller "meapc" in Los Alamos, NM. This is a very good buy!

All the Japanese sellers want around $500. I recommend buying the F9E from "meapc" !

Thank you .... But

F9E is elliptical, if I don’t make a mistake, and F9U is line contact (or shibata) if I am correct.

I always thought that shibata was a better form for the needle

and more expensive. If I decide to spend money, should not I buy the best available F9U for 500 usd than a cheaper but more ordinary F9E ?

Never heard of the U version but it may not have been exported from Japan. Price is not the only criterion for what constitutes a good deal. In a used cartridge, condition is 99% of the deal, in my book. Does the seller have the original container, and does it read “9U”? That would prove it’s OEM and not a re-tip, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Yes I’d expect a Shibata to outperform an E version, and yes these are great cartridges.