Preamp recommendations up to $2000

Hi everyone. The upgrade bug has reared it's head again and I'm starting to look for a better preamp. My present system is: Audio Note CD-2, Mapletree 2A SE pre, Edge G4 amp, and GMA Pico Executive speakers. I listen to mostly classical, with some pop/rock.

I don't have the audio vocabulary some of you do, but I guess I'm looking for a more open sound with a little more presence. I also wouldn't mind if the bass was a little fuller.

Although the Mapletree is a tube preamp, I would like all suggestions, including SS.

Thanks!
xrayz

Showing 6 responses by mapman

Xrayz,

I'm in a similar boat as you regarding a possible pre-amp upgrade in the same general price range. I have identified many options including some mentioned here. I think when and if I do it, I will create a short list and then look to see which ones match up best to my amp in regards to output impedance and sensitivity levels to narrow it down further. I have no idea yet at this point exactly where that would leave me.

One option I would consider that would not get much mention otherwise I think is a vintage Tandberg pre-amp only because I have owned a Tandberg receiver (TR2080) and mated it with my system with very excellent results in the past and I think a Tandberg pre-amp would be even more exceptional.
Tvad,

The switchable output impedance settings is intriguing to me.

How is the detail and imaging accuracy with each?

Does it have a phono pre-amp built in that can take a low out MC cart?

Also, how many outputs does it provide? Can it support a processor and output for recording concurrently?
Tvad,

What are your impressions compared to other Preamps you are familiar with?

What do you think a Peach would do for my system?
Tvad,

Thanks.

Keep the thoughts coming.

The Peach is high on my consideration list for next pre-amp in my system at some point.