Power amps into surge protector/Conditioner or DIRECT to wall? Final verdict?

Just curious. I've heard for years not to plug amp into a surge protection evice. Does this apply to a preamp as well? Are the component fuses enough? Do affordable surge protection/conditioners exist that do not effect sound quality? 
Some of the mid line Furman studio units look nice. Plus you have the SurgeX/Brick devices that look like real winners. However, I'm not wanting any sound quality issues. BUT, I don't want my equipment destroyed as well. 

Thoughts please
aberyclark
@aberyclark  how did you make the decision to go for the Torus TOT MAX? I'm curious, it looks good.

Hi 
my take on these surge protector etc.
 I feel it is good for your preamp,cd players 
dac,Transport.
your amp needs to go directly into the wall 
outlet.
i had a lot of surge protector etc.and my
amp or amps never sounded good going into.
Keep your amp in the wall outlet.
OK, I only saw a mention of this, this thread raises this question: I'm in Florida where it is pretty dirty. (I've replaced refrigerator circuit boards and the like, because of the surging energy.) I have absolutely no surge protectors on my main equipment to keep the sound level high. But Florida's utility department, FPL, periodically will send me an advertisement for their whole-house surge protection (for some $15/month.) The very concept of this miffs me, as I feel they should be providing this for free, not causing me to buy an add-on. But perhaps that's the nature of a lightning-strike area. My question is, if I went with such an option, do you think this will leave my sound quality untouched? 
Lowrider, I did quite s bit of research and for the money, the Torus TOT series gets great reviews worldwide. Plus, I got a great recommendation from a dealer so trust. The unit will arrive tomorrow. Besides looking forward to protection, I’m looking forward to declutter the mess J currently have running cables to a strip. I’m going to place the Torus on the middle shelf of my system. 
Hi @donzi !

I think one thing you should consider is hot good your system will sound after a lightning strike.

As for the utility service, it’s a shame it isn’t free, especially in Florida, but since it is at your meter and is a shunt, it won’t affect your sound quality.  I encourage you to consider having a whole house suppressor installed in your panel. At least that way you won't be buying a subscription. :)

In Florida, of all places, I strongly recommend you get a high quality series mode surge suppressor near any gear you want to keep.

Best,
Erik