Pickering XSV/5000 question

Hey all !

I have a Kenwood KD 500 TT with a Linn Basic arm mounted on a piece of Honduras Mahogany base.

I will eventually upgrade the Kenwood Basic C2 preamp but for now I'm looking at cartridges.

A local guy is selling a TT, cheap, that needs work that has a Pickering XSV/5000 cartridge mounted but NO Stylus.

There seems to be some love here for the Pickering so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to grab it and install a new stylus? If so...which one?

Also, what should I look at with the cartridge to help determine if it's good? I do have a multi-meter.

Thanks!!!

Brian

gorquin

OK, I did some searching and it turns out the Pickering XSV/5000 had a DC Resistance of 600 Ohms.

Any opinions/experience with the LPGear replacement stylus?

Check eBay for an OEM Pickering stylus assembly.  You might get lucky. I could be wrong but I think other top end OEM Pickering styli will fit, like XSV7500 and XSV4500 or 4000, I forget which of those.  I am not sure why you posted about the DCR, since the cartridge you are interested in has no stylus assembly at all, or so I was led to believe.  If you cannot find OEM, then LPGear and the like are the obvious alternative sources.

The pic shows a stylus but I believe the tip is gone and one can still measure to see if the cartridge windings are open even without a stylus.

Dea @gorquin  : It's very good cartridge and you can send for retip/stylus to Joseph Long who can gives you all the alternatives for stylus shape, you can call him 8603380153. Recomended, is an expert re-tipper.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Joseph is in Hartford, CT, I think.  He is a good guy, I agree. I hadn't thought of that option because the question led me to think about a replacement assembly.

Post removed 

@lewm 

Yes it was Joseph who commented that the XSV 5000 stylus was in

fact the same as the low output XSV 7500 go figure, likely due to

the waning days of Pickering and vinyl. The body characteristics 

being the difference.

I am a fan of the Stanton equivalent to the XSV7500, the 981LZS. And now you mention it, I remember that bit about the 5000/7500.