Pickering XSV/5000 question

Hey all !

I have a Kenwood KD 500 TT with a Linn Basic arm mounted on a piece of Honduras Mahogany base.

I will eventually upgrade the Kenwood Basic C2 preamp but for now I'm looking at cartridges.

A local guy is selling a TT, cheap, that needs work that has a Pickering XSV/5000 cartridge mounted but NO Stylus.

There seems to be some love here for the Pickering so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to grab it and install a new stylus? If so...which one?

Also, what should I look at with the cartridge to help determine if it's good? I do have a multi-meter.

Thanks!!!

Brian

gorquin

Showing 3 responses by lewm

I am a fan of the Stanton equivalent to the XSV7500, the 981LZS. And now you mention it, I remember that bit about the 5000/7500.

Joseph is in Hartford, CT, I think.  He is a good guy, I agree. I hadn't thought of that option because the question led me to think about a replacement assembly.

Check eBay for an OEM Pickering stylus assembly.  You might get lucky. I could be wrong but I think other top end OEM Pickering styli will fit, like XSV7500 and XSV4500 or 4000, I forget which of those.  I am not sure why you posted about the DCR, since the cartridge you are interested in has no stylus assembly at all, or so I was led to believe.  If you cannot find OEM, then LPGear and the like are the obvious alternative sources.