Physically Comfortable Headphones

I anticipate that in the near future, I will have a greater dependance on headphone listening. I have a separate listening room at this time, and do not have to worry about affecting others as I listen, even into the night. But if/when we downsize, I am almost certain to not have this luxury again. 

I like headphones. But they never seem to like me. I can't find one that I don't want to rip off my head within a half-hour. My head is probably a bit bigger sized than average, but not outrageous. My temples, the source (or at least, location) for my frequent headaches, are sensitive to pressure. My ears get really hot really quickly.

I have owned Grado G1000's, Audeze LCD-2's, Meze 99's, Sennheiser 650's, Stax SR 80's, and the most comfortable of them all, the Audio Technica Air ATH AD700's. And while the AT 700's are the most physically comfortable, the sound is too thin, and not good enough for front line music listening. 

Does anyone know of headphones that fit slightly larger headed people? That have a lower "clamp-force" around the temples? I favor a fuller sound, with good bass, like my Audeze LCD-2's (pre-fazor). My budget is probably around $1500 or less.

Thanks for any suggestions...

David 

dtorc

@dtorc 

Try the Koss UR 40 titanium driver headphones. I have a pair I wear all day. They are slightly warmer than the Harman curve, so 6+ hours of listening daily won't make you deaf unless you are really careless. They're really cheap too, and weigh nothing (so if you buy them and aren't blown away, you only lost the cost of a Sunday buffet dinner). You might be stunned at their performance for under $50. I've worn variations of this design since 1982 (Koss HV7, HV/X, Realistic Pro-60, etc). I recommend them to everyone sick of heavy, expensive headphones that make their ears ring in 30 minutes.

+1 Seinheiser, I currently enjoy the 600, light weight, padded ear pads, comfortable over longer listening sessions, I also have the hot ear problem and Seinheiser 600 open back seem to be the best for me. They do not have the big base your looking for but after enduring a number of others, includind the Audeze LC, I always seem to come back to the 600. I use my Accuphase preamps equalizer adjustments to add some base if required.

@dtorc 

Highly valuing sonics, I’d first do deep research on the best headphones via reviews to create a list of possible headphones within budget, then go out and demo for myself.  Headphonics and Headfonia both have many reviews.

After compiling a list, then go to an audiophile headphone shop or a headphone audio show like Canjam.  There’s quite a large market for high-end desktop/portable audio.  Otherwise you can still attend and then tell them your needs and budget.

Open back headphones have been revelatory in my hifi journey. I use Stax, which are admittedly ugly, but they sound like new (and they were made in 1979). They are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.