Phono Preamp Selection

I have no idea of which Phono Preamp I should purchase.  I read the reviews from Audio Science and the author provides testing criteria and results for Phono Preamps. I do not have a awesome system - rather it is just a nice system. I reviewed (Pro-ject Phono Box DC MM/MC  / Cambridge Audio Duo / IFI Zen / Schitt Skoll ). My turntable is a MoFi with a Hana MC Cartridge. 500.00 is my budget as I am just a listener of old vintage records.  My amp is a Denon and my speakers are bookshelf Triangle(s). Appreciate your time and responses.

smerk

I would echo Schiit Skoll at that price point. If you're into diy, build out the Pete Millett LR Phono and then get a step up transformer or head amp.

If you like old vintage stuff, tubes are the way to go. As mentioned, look used. You can often find older ARC phono stages for a song. There are others. ASR tends to be full of blowhards that have little concept of actual music so it would seem. Take the “reviews” with a grain of salt.

“I reviewed (Pro-ject Phono Box DC MM/MC  / Cambridge Audio Duo / IFI Zen / Schitt Skoll ).”

By reviewed are we to understand that a review was read or were these units auditioned?

I had a couple of Projects and they were good products. I even bought the $129 one while my regular one was being repaired and it was not bad at all. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.