Phono preamp Q re: Technics SL-1900 turntable

Ok, a buddy of mine has the above turntable with an Audio Technica 22780E cartridge. I think it is pretty basic turntable.
He just bought a new DTS receiver and it does not have a Phono input. He is bummed.
I told him he probably needed a separate phono preamp that would go between his turntable and his AUX input on the receiver.

I have no idea what to look for new or used. He is not a high end audio guy-just wants something that will get his turntable to work decently with his receiver.

Any advice on specific products to look for is welcome. I am a digital guy and just want to steer him in the right direction.

Thanks!
lkdog
Given the rather modest nature of your friend's system, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money on a phono preamp. However, there are several inexpensive yet decent quality phono preamps, including the Parasound PPH-100 ($120), and the Creek Audio OBH-8MM ($199). Both of these preamps can be purchased from Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com).

Another inexpensive preamp that has gotten good reviews is the Gram Amp (a TAS "Best Buy Recommended Component") that retails for $219. Check the following Web site for info: www.gspaudio.com

If your friend wants something better, then I have two suggestions:
1. a used Lehmann Audio Black Cube, which sells here on A-gon for around $300 (get the original model, not the new one with the enlarged power supply);
2. the Grado PH-1, which sells new for $500, and sells used for $250-300.
You shall have cheaper model like NAD or ProJet. Price shall be less than US$90.
Thanks for the ideas. One other question and I am sorry of it is a stupid one...
What is the difference between a moving coil and a moving magnet cartridge and what kind does my friend above have with the Audio Technica 22780E?
Just want to make sure he does not get a phono preamp that is compatible with his cartridge.
Thanks!
Lkdog- There are a number of threads on the topic of MM, MC and other types of cartidges in the archives. Check it out!!

Regards
Jim
NAD or Rotel; I've seen the Rotels go used for $100; if he wants to spend a little more, I agree that a used Grado would be a good choice, and it would last through some upgrades if he was so inclined.
Music Hall makes a nice little phono preamp for around $100. I do not remember the model number but one unique feature is the power supply - it uses a standard 9V battery instead of plugging it in to the wall. I think the idea is to isolate it and to keep the noise floor as low as possible. I bought it at a local higher-end dealer who also sold Creek and Rotel products and they recommended the Music Hall for my system as a good lower-cost alternative to those brands. I used it between my Technics SL-5 turntable and a little JVC executive micro system and it sounded fine. If memory serves, you get at least 50 hours of playing time on a single alkaline battery.
Seems I recall that Rat Shack als had a battery-powered phono pre for around $30. Mono, so you'd need two for stereo....

I'm betting that the battery powered versions have a sonic advantage in this price range.

Jim