Phono preamp Q re: Technics SL-1900 turntable

Ok, a buddy of mine has the above turntable with an Audio Technica 22780E cartridge. I think it is pretty basic turntable.
He just bought a new DTS receiver and it does not have a Phono input. He is bummed.
I told him he probably needed a separate phono preamp that would go between his turntable and his AUX input on the receiver.

I have no idea what to look for new or used. He is not a high end audio guy-just wants something that will get his turntable to work decently with his receiver.

Any advice on specific products to look for is welcome. I am a digital guy and just want to steer him in the right direction.

Thanks!
lkdog

Showing 1 response by sdcampbell

Given the rather modest nature of your friend's system, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money on a phono preamp. However, there are several inexpensive yet decent quality phono preamps, including the Parasound PPH-100 ($120), and the Creek Audio OBH-8MM ($199). Both of these preamps can be purchased from Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com).

Another inexpensive preamp that has gotten good reviews is the Gram Amp (a TAS "Best Buy Recommended Component") that retails for $219. Check the following Web site for info: www.gspaudio.com

If your friend wants something better, then I have two suggestions:
1. a used Lehmann Audio Black Cube, which sells here on A-gon for around $300 (get the original model, not the new one with the enlarged power supply);
2. the Grado PH-1, which sells new for $500, and sells used for $250-300.