Parasound vs Coda

All,

I've been doing a lot of research into moving up from my current amplifier (Parasound JC5) and have scoured comparisons of Parasound to Pass Labs and others that I've been considering. Speakers are Focal Kanta 3s, Pass XP22, Lumin U1, Denafrips Terminator Plus. The setup sounds great as is but would be interested in an amp that offers a bit more refinement in the midrange and treble. Coda from all my research could fit that goal.

One comparison I haven't found has been users who've heard Parasound and Coda amps (I'm considering the Coda 16 or possibly 8) and would love to hear about what others have heard as far as preference, tonality differences, etc. Thank you in advance!

christianb5s4

OP… “granted the XP12/22/32s are universally considered improvements over the prior generation”. Yes, exactly.

I used to own one. I would describe them as a bit thin, not natural and musical. They are good technically but lack warmth and soul. Somewhere in there I think I got it.

Ive owned both the jc5 and the coda 16 - i liked the coda better. 100 watts of class A goodness. Wonderful mids. And the thing is ULTRA quiet.

I run a Coda no8 with a Trafomatic Reference Line One tube pre and the sound is sublime.  I recently tried with the Holo Serene (which I preferred over a Benchmark LA4 with the Coda) but it didn’t have the same magic without the tubes.  I also was a bit surprised that I don’t seem to be missing much if any detail with the Trafomatic/Coda combo versus with the Serene in the chain.  

I think I like the LA4 and CODA #16 (or #8) combo the best. Though I only gave the Serene a short workout with the #16. The LA4 also works better with the #16 because it is so small, and I can hide away from the amp.

I have been thinking about of adding a tube preamp into the RCA inputs of my CODA #16, which has a nice switch on the front of the amp to flip between RCA and XLR inputs. So, 2 preamps hooked up at the same time are easy to manage.

I am going to check out the Trafomatic Reference Line One tube pre.