Parasound JCM 250

I did not see much discussion online. So I thought of creating this new thread. Interesting that this amp is said to be stable to impedance below 1 ohm load.

Parasound JCM250

128x128milpai

Looks like a scaled down version of the JC1+ mono amp they brought out a few years ago.  The JCM250 @250 watts vs the JC1 @450 watts.  Both claim to be stable below 1 ohm.  Many amps make the claim of being stable at 1 ohm but this is the first time I've seen "below".  Reminds me of Hegel rating the H590 at 351 watts per channel.  When they asked the head of the company why 351 he replied "when other companies claim 350 watts per side we can say ours is bigger"(or words just like that).  So Parasound can claim "ours go lower".  My question would be, does anyone have a real life example where this is meaningful?  

@bigtwin , how about your own speakers? They might go down pretty low in impedance, right? And this is a Curl design - so I am guessing it is a no-nonsense design and probably does what it says. I remember from quite some years ago when an online magazine performed measurements on the now discontinued Parasound A21 and found that it was stable even below 2 ohms, when the manufacturer claims only 4 ohms.I believe it was some "power cube" measurement - I could not locate the article for posting here.

BTW, John Curl received an Award at the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society this week.

@mipai  I have liked and owned Parasound amps in the past.  I am simply asking if "below" 1 ohm is more marketing than practical application.  My current mono blocks are rated as being stable @1ohm.  Could they have also said below 1ohm?  Again, is it marketing or of real value?  Above my pay grade.  Not a slight against John Curl.

I was there for the “ it’s about time “ J Curl award. I suspect JC measured it AND listened. An extraordinary difficult load, like the Big Apogee ( which in my estimation are asymptotic about a direct short, MIGHT reveal a sonic advantage….. the truth would be in listening….but hard to parse out stability in massive current delivery w other causes of sonic differences…

What's the point of it being stable below 1 ohm if an amp has the headroom?  I don't think that I've ever owned a speaker that dipped below 3.7.

Is this pricing model what we should expect post-purchase Parasound?  The price modest difference between this JCM250 and the JC1+ seems to be disproportionate to the large difference in power output and internal parts, etc.  Should we expect to see the next "JCM450" to be substantially more than the JC1+ without changes jusitifying the cost increase?