Ortofon OM20 and Audio Technica AT120E But Mostly Ortofon

Hello there.

Last night I set up a second turntable with an Audio Technica AT120E cartridge.  The sound of it is a lot like being repeatedly punched in the forehead but I am assured that the punches will decrease somewhat as the hours mount up.

But the Big Rig has what I think is an Ortofon OM20 labelled Dual DM165.  I love it to pieces but on some records that have the dreaded somewhere-around-300Hz-hoot, it's a little too hooty for comfort.

I wonder whether there's some snake oil I can do to the turntable that would attenuate the hoot a little bit.  Dry it up.  Flatten it out just a little bit like the Audio Technica.  You know, like mats or cables or something like that.

You don't have to ask me what kind of turntables I have.  The principles would be the same in any case, and you'd mostly just be wasting time.

Thank you kindly..

mrearl
I think that my turntable is pre-clamp.  I recognized (which is to say I heard) the value of record weights way back when the first record weights came out -- late seventies I guess.  But I never really felt the need to bolt the record down.  I don't want to dish the record's edges up.   I just have a chunk of wood with a hole in it that I set over the spindle. It weighs about three ounces, it stabilizes the record somewhat, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.  Something more drastic would probably improve the conveyance of impacts but I play classical music and there aren't too many impacts in that.  If I'm wrong here, please tell me.