Opportunity to buy Demo Magico M2?

A dealer called me with an offer to sell their demo Magico M2’s at a massive discount. I was recently in their shop and tested the A5’s with my Gryphon Diablo 300, and I found the bass to be lacking with the A5’s. I think this was likely due to the fact that they had less than 250 hours on them.

My room, while not massive, is on the larger side. Vaulted ceilings that rises to 14 feet at the peak, about 26ft front to back, and open on the sides (house is open concept). There is a large and tall island that separates out the listening area.

Considering my room size, and considering my not so great experience with the A5’s, should I bother lugging my amp into the shop to test the M2’s? I have to travel a ways so it’s a bit of a commitment. But the discount they are offering is about $25k off. And they said it would include the M-Pods.  Thoughts?

nyev

Perhaps you could work something out with the dealer to pay for a home demo. A home demo should be a given when purchasing at full price, but not for virtually half off. There is no way to predict how it will sound until you get it in your room and see how the speaker reacts. Jay’s latest Magico bears this out. It had far better bass than much larger speakers in his room because the speaker just clicks with the room acoustics. Given the prices you’re working with, maybe offer a grand for the home demo, which would be waived if you keep the speaker. Or perhaps just paying the extra grand regardless is enough of a carrot. No other way to know.

Magico makes some great speakers.  Sounds like you need a good pair of subs even though you are looking at a full range speaker.  Ck out a pair of the Rel Carbon Specials or the 212 SX.  After using subs in my system for the last 2 years, I can't imagine not having them.  They add weight and space and if set up correctly, they totally disappear.  

Without a doubt, if you can, buy the M2's they're an exceptional speaker.  I have S5's and a very very revealing system riven by Devialet mono's with JL Fathoms subs.  The M2'as are not a large speaker but stunning to look at and exceptional build quality.  They're easy to accommodate.  Most importantly their sound is amongst the very best at any price and significantly better than my S5's which are in turn much better than A5's.  All that being said, you will want a pair of high quality sub woofers like JL Audio Fathoms.  With that you will have everything you want.  They are accommodating of a wide variety of rooms but with such a large room will need additional bass reinforcement. It's not just the bass notes that will improve but soundstage and presence too. I'd also be tempted to explore a used pair of M3 for around the same price, try talking to Josh at Scott Walker Audio.  Your Gryphon will do wonderfully with both M2 and M3.  As one previous poster commented, Synergistic Research cabling helps enormously with this setup.

It’s still a lot of money. I would only do it if it is assured you can try and get money back if not up to snuff.

@nyev 

Thank you for the kind words. I’m sure whatever speaker you pick you will be very happy with the end result. 

Ron