Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

No not quite, though it appears to be a "double roll" rather than a simple foam. It would appear that your selected surround is "applied" to the cone whereas the JBLs are a "part" of the cone and of different material.

Of course the JBLs also have bigger voice coils, more tesla, higher BL, etc., but I don't think they are suited to open baffle mounts.

Another qualifier when I put these together was that there would be no foams to rot and replace, again at the expense of deeper bass.

@toddalin That’s very interesting because a lot of classic jazz guitar amplifiers also use Alnico speakers. They’re some of the finest tones to be had from a jazz guitar amp, of course powered by tube amplification. 

I have friends with Lii speakers. They think they sound great... meanwhile all I hear is "HONK". The primary factor for them cutting a piece of plywood and mounting a big Chinesium driver was... as usual:

PRICE.

And I also know this... "The frustration of poor performance lingers long after the lowest price is forgotten."

I smile and nod... neither has been over to hear my setup... and in some ways, I don’t want them to - because when they leave, "things won’t be the same".