Ohm F-5015 used purchase

I have a neighbor looking to move and part ways with his Ohm F-5015 set.
They are powered with a SAE 2400L, along with a SAE P102, and T102 tuner.
He's including a Sansui SR-535 turntable and his vinyl record collection.
If I buy this combo, does anyone have any helpful opinions?
I believe he's asking a fair price but I'm very new to the Ohm name and just looking for a little advice.
Thanks!
128x128hifiwino
Well the electronics other than the speakers sound vintage so be sure everything is in good working order and the price is fair.  

Can you hear the setup before buying?   That's always best.

May I ask how much is being asked?
I listened to everything yesterday some vinyl sounded great, others ho hum as I figured. He has a 1,000 sq ft room while mine is 330 sq ft. It seems he’s just throwing in the electronics in the price just to entice buyers with a complete setup. He’s asking $6500
The SAE preamp, amp and tuner are only worth a few hundred apiece. About $600 for the set. 
There are not many Ohm 5015s out there to establish resale value but new they go for over $10K.  THey deliver a lot of good sound for the price and are very adjustable to the room which is very useful.

I have Ohm F5s, similar to 5015s but no built in subs.   

If you like the Ohms, need subs and would prefer to not have them separate then 5015s are the way to go and if in good shape you are getting them for a very good discount compared to new.

@robertjerman Thanks.

@mapman I’m on the fence. Ideally I’d love to audition equipment in a retail store and decide what I’d like to upgrade to. His is plug and play and I could always upgrade electronics down the road. He’s very motivated to sell and he’s also throwing in roughly 2500 vinyl albums. It’s still an option for me. 
2500 vinyl albums?  That's a nice incentive!

The electronics are old and may sound fine, but those speakers are capable of a lot so any improvements you make upstream over time will most likely be audible.

No not here. No biggie.

If you do happen to have Google or apple or similar accounts, you can upload photos make them public and post the url here.

Here’s a photo of my F5s out there:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN6_Z_-Ve5ZGQJvCtRlzI9QQrIxnZOJyeazAuSS

That vintage SAE gear is very cool.

Looks like two power amps, the crown and SAE?

My understanding is the 5015s require a separate outboard crossover to the subs and mains. I wonder how that is done with this setup?

What part of the country are these located in?
The Crown powers the two subs. The Sae powers the main speakers up top. I’m in California 
Hmmm ok I was under the impression powered subs were used in the f5015 but apparently not necessarily the case.

F5015 was classified as a "prototype" design last I noticed so its possible not all are similar. I heard a pair at Capital Audiofest in 2018 and I believe those used built in powered subs and an external crossover but not certain.

You could probably call Ohm and ask about this particular pair if you wanted more info. They are typically very good about supporting all Ohm speakers any way they can.

https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/beta/

Yep the current 5015s have built in powered subs but not the crossover, so the ones you are looking at are different.   

He bought these 5 years ago, he didn’t want a mounted amp on the box so Ohm sent an external amp. I talked to John at Ohm today, they’re beta speakers somewhat customizable and take 3 months to build. I’m sure there is subtle differences on some units, John said only a few dozen exist.
I’d love to see photos of others out there but I can’t find much online at all.
hifiwino,

Here is some info to consider.

I have a set of F-5015s on order now. They have an extreme excursion 15" subwoofer in the bottom of each one and either on-board Icepower subwoofer amplifiers or an off-board subwoofer amplifier.  From the pictures you posted, it looks like the set you located has an off-board Crown subwoofer amplifier.  That is the model that Ohm recommended to me if I went the off-board route.

They also come in two different housing styles.  The pictures you posted are of the version with the big upper grill.  There is another variant that has a smaller upper grill and wood housing piece between this and the lower wood housing.  The lower wood housing is the same in both variants.  The second picture in the following article shows this variant:   https://www.cnet.com/news/ohm-acoustics-speakers-sound-bigger-than-they-look/  

From a pricing perspective, Ohm takes trade-ins and uses these to discount their products.  For instance, brand new with birch housings and no trade-in, cost $11k for the pair.  If one sends in an old pair of Ohm F's and these are reworked, the cost is $6.6k for the pair and these would have the particle board housings of the old F's.  If one sends in an old pair of Ohm F's and trades these in for a new pair, there is a 25% discount on the new pair cost with birch housings which makes the price $8.25k for the pair.  I found a used no longer working pair of F's on Craigslist for $100 and spent about $250 in packaging and shipping costs to send these in from Michigan.  (Took about 1.5 years of spot-checking Craigslist to find a cheap set to turn in.) Thus, this should provide you with an understanding of the pricing.

You might want to look to see what type of housing material - birch wood or particle board is below the veneer so you know how the pair you have located is constructed.

Was told by John and Evan at Ohm that there isn't really a difference in sound between the housing constructions unless these are played at a really loud level where the birch ones sound better.  Was also told that the recent price increase on the reworked particle board housing ones was due to better materials that they are now using.  (This was the only increase in price of their whole lineup that I am aware of.)  Thus, the design has matured over time, perhaps since the version you have found.

Was also told that the beta designation will be leaving shortly and that the biggest issue that they are trying to still nail down is the shipping packaging because these are very heavy speakers.  It was also stated to me that the prices will go up when these are no longer beta products.  

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I do believe the wood enclosure under the can is painted plywood. The housing where the sub is I’m not sure. I believe the speakers and all the gear is worth the price, I also think he will come down. I either take this deal and upgraded electronics or I shop around for individual piece to build my own setup. Fun no matter what.
Hifiwino,

A few more thoughts for you. Ohm raised the price for the F-5015s reworked from old F housings from $6k to $6.6k per pair about 1/2 a year ago. Thus the pricing 5 years ago when the speakers that you found were manufactured was less than it is today, possibly even less than the $6k that it was 1/2 a year ago. This pricing would have included the subwoofer amplifier. I think that the easiest way to check to see if the speakers that you are being offered have been built from the particle board F housings is to look at the under side and see if the angled vertical pyramid shaped wood right under the veneer is particle board or not. The original F’s use 3/4 inch thick particle board and according to Ohm have had many internal reinforcements added to stiffen the housings when they are converted to F-5015s. The birch versions being made today use 1 inch thick birch.  What you saw from the top under the driver might be some of the added reinforcements and interface structure for supporting the driver and may not be an indicator if these were made from the particle board F's or not.
Can we assume this is a big step up for you?

Like Bose, others, OHM is a unique approach to sound, you love it, or not. Quality very good, haven't heard any OHM in years, but I would bet they sound good and well built. You already know they are customer orientated.

You heard them, impressed, and I think they might/could sound even better in your smaller room.

However, if buying used speakers, for your sized room, you have lots of affordable options.I would consider the LP's, if in good shape and your tastes a good part of the deal.  2500 lps? your tastes? pull random ones out, look clean, near virgin? It's a great way to learn about other music you might never buy/try. About 25lf shelving. You can cherry pick later, sell the rest so not too much space is needed.

I would try to get him to include the amps for the subs. Separate volume control of subs is good, especially moving to a smaller space.

Do you have TT and Vinyl of your own?

That TT, decent but nothing special, very old, is similar to the many direct drive ones, home version. Fully adjustable arm which is good. If you really get into vinyl you might upgrade in the future. But, accumulated grime and/or worn pivot, etc?? 

this simalar TT, new, $300.  https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a9291057?mkwid=sZVd4VvX1&pcrid=289223374548&pdv=c&product=A9291057&pgrid=79656934065&pgrid=79656934065&ptaid=pla-793374613625&ptaid=pla-793374613625&VEN1=sZVd4VvX1~289223374548~901pdb6671~c~~A9291057~79656934065~pla-793374613625&VEN1=sZVd4VvX1~289223374548~901pdb6671~c~~A9291057~79656934065~pla-793374613625&cid=314477011&cid=314477011&lid=59673400075&lid=59673400075&dgc=st&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230980731501410&acd=1230980731501410&st=&gclid=Cj0KCQiArdLvBRCrARIsAGhB_szheAS2BHmcJJEK3Jjiznn1_ag9GJSNupUw8n3l1DywtkKU1TEJR3caArD4EALw_wcB&VEN3=811405026575058466

His cartridge? Stylus good or worn? Stylus replaceable?  Or just plan $200. to $300. for a new cartridge. You could move that to any TT. (or, you have an existing cartridge you like?) Above AT comes with a cartridge, sounds good, but it tracks 2.5g minimum, heavier than I like, so I changed mine to a Shure 97xe 1.25g. Surprisingly I like 97xebetter than Shure V Micro Ridge and better than AT Microline (I have both).

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Shure-M97xE-Audiophile-Phono-Cartridge?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiArdLvBRCrARIsAGhB_sz-VNPqw6dysoy6mnZ9yCv4YR8D5uT8In_xKLxhttMphTK8DwCj9VcaAhxyEALw_wcB

Some vinly sounded great, other not. If some sounded great, the stylus is likely properly aligned and not worn.

If properly aligned, vinyl sounds great based on the engineering of that content, not the reproducing equipment, so don't let those non-involving onews concern you.

btw,

If he is willing to part with TT and 2500lps, this is an indicator of:

He doesn't know how to properly align the cartridge, FUNDAMENTAL to great LP sound. There is no way in hell I would part with mine.

He bought crap LP's at yard sales and not a high percentage is in very good condition.
I just viewed your photos. The rear controls OHM provides to adjust to various positions and imaging preferences indicate how unique their approach is. I see a treble switch as well, perhaps another for bass is out of view.

They are heavy enough to be on wheels. I would change them to 3 wheels, then they will never wobble wherever you move them to.

If heavy enough, I like wheels, pushing mine back giving more space in the room and moving them out to listening position. A little mark to easily find the precise position you found was best when you move them forward is helpful, happily I have a wood floor with a grid. 
I come mainly from a home theater setup. I was running Kef bookshelf’s, a sunfire 10” sub, kef in ceiling surrounds and a Marantz receiver.  Now I’m running an Onkyo TX-NR838 av receiver. For music I use a project debut turntable.

I was interested because he’s selling everything as a package. The 2500 Lps, the shelving, the av rack, all the sae equipment, the Turntable, and the Ohms.
I’m likely to pull the trigger if it’s the right price and just figure it out later.

I added an inventory list of the vinyl you can view in the link above.