New2Analog - Table Setup Help?

After 25+ years of CDs and such, I bought my first turntable last week. A Denon DP300F, with a built-in phono preamp. I have put it into my system, and have dome some A - B comparison, and critical listening.

Here is my problem:
I am lacking in the upper octave of all music.
No Air (Which I lust for from Vinyl).
Heavy bass and midrange
Midrange will nearly distort it is so heavy

The table is set per the factory directions, but I am not sure where to start to fix these issues.

Any suggestions?

Jeff in Detroit
jbryngelson
does the arm feature a vertical tracking angle adjustment?
If VTA is incorrct (the back of the arm set too low) then the lows may be accentuated sacrificing HF performance. Start with the arm set parallel to the record, then try raising the back of the arm a few degrees at a time & listen again. Also try lowering as well. You want a VTA of about 22 degrees; you can tune this by ear. Some more expensive arms allow adjustment even while playing. The economy models not so, or may not even be adjustable atb all, in which case you might need to shim the cartrige. Lots of forum posts in the analog section in this regard, just run a search on VTA.
As Tfk advises, check the basics first.
I bought the table used, and the previous owner had barely used it, but I was under the impression that he had tuned/set-up the table. I have done nothing to change this setup, as I thought I would get suggestions here. As mentioned earlier, I am looking for setup improvements so I can get the system to a point where I like it, and then will spend money to improve it.

I will work on the VTA. Thanks for the tips guys!

I also will play with the preamp switch under the table to ensure it is in the right place.

Jeff
Also being new to the analog thing, i learned quick that even with a deck set up "right" out of the box, still needs to be fine tuned. make sure the cartridge is aligned properly, the tracking force is correct, and vta...my current deck doesn't allow me to adjust it, so i can't help ya there. so the only way i know to get around that is to use different mats of varied thickness and find what sounds right to you.
Michael Fremer of Stereophile has a DVD on turntable set up. It might be a good investment in terms of understanding how all these issues interact. Setting up a table is an iterative process. For example, many are finding that very precise cartridge alignment allows for lower than typical VTF, which allows for v. low or no anti-skating.

Its very common for TTs to be set up incorrectly, so verify that its been done right and also purchase a 10x loupe so you can see the stylus and make sure its clean. Search the forum for "magic eraser" to find how to make a very good stylus cleaning tool for very low $. If its still not clean as a whistle, try using a v thin strip of fine grit sandpaper and gently swiping the stylus surfaces, followed by more magic eraser and then dry brushing.