New Western Electric 91E 300B Tube Integrated Amp REVIEW !

rick2000

The specifications for the WE 91 are in the linked stereophile review.  To me, the biggest concern is the 3 ohm source impedance of the amp which would mean frequency response effects based on the impedance of the speaker at each frequency (i.e. the response will vary because the speaker impedance changes with frequency).  The somewhat high harmonic distortion, even at low output is not that big a deal because it is common to a lot of tube amps and is primarily second order, which is harmless (maybe even part of the “rich” sound of tubes).

Those four words say it all to me. I saw the interview with the current owner of Western electric and I was very impressed with his detailed explanation of everything that happened from the day he took over.

snaptube vidmate

The classic Dennis Had-designed Cary 300B SETs, from back in the day, were capable of 9, 10, 11 watts; the one I owned drove my ProAc Response 2.5s to volumes I would never listen at.  So the JA measurements of output of the WE did give me some pause.  OTOH, I don't remember the reviewer reporting any problems.

i learned more about the reviewer than i did about the eq unde review.  no mention whatsoever ofthe phono stage sound or anything!