New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

Well a 15k speaker today there 15 yo equivalent would be about 4k back then. Better is subjective for sure and you would need to listen. I had BW Matrix 801 vii for a while. With a monster amp pushing them they were just as good as most today. I’m not of the camp that speakers are night and day better especially comparing to totl from 20 years ago. 

Well a 15k speaker today there 15 yo equivalent would be about 4k back then.

That’s adjusted for inflation, but does that also apply to or account for the potential for increased performance due to R&D over 25 years?

If you like the B&W sound you are on the right track with the options you mention but you might like to add Focal to the list. Not my cup of tea but speaker choice is very personal and I prefer the more musical (less analytical ) speakers like Sonus Faber.

Listening to music in the Bahamas on any of the speakers on your list sounds divine to me.