new member, some questions, need help please

Hi, my name is Jaime.  I've been lurking this site more intensely over the past few months as i'm at the end of my career and would like to assemble a very nice, better than mediocre equipment and listening environment.  I was heavily into audio and considered myself an novice audiophile for a few year back in circa 1988.  Got into med school, married, children, mortgage, fast cars, fine wines and, well, you know how it goes thereafter.  fast forward onto the current epoch, a few lbs heavier, tinnitus in one ear and still have the bug and still covet some equipment that I could not afford back then.  Well, don't hear too much of Mark Levinson, Wilson Audio is still around, cassette player are out (remember Nakamichi :-) ), now there's so much digital this and digital that, servers, streamers.... I've got much to learn.  But, for now, I just have one question regarding one piece of the audio chain...... speakers

I've alway wanted to own Wilson Watt puppy ever since I first heard them in 1990 paired with Jadis amp and preamp.  Wow, still remember back then the music was palpable and haunting (remember i was and still am a novice).  I"d like to return to Watt puppy and a great amp, but here's my question:  Specifically regarding Watt puppy series 8..... are they too old to be meaningful in 2024? Do speakers lose their magic to an extent that renders them less capable to a significant extent after 15-18 years (assuming proper physical condition condition for their age) or do they still have enduring quality sound after all these years?  I know that my ears and temporal lobes of my brain ultimately have to please me, but I do have to start somewhere with some knowledge moving forward, hence my ask for help.. thank you very much in advance.

Jaime

jaimeromero

@jaimeromero 

Go to a few shows and as many dealers as you can. What kinds of music do you like to listen to?  How loud do you like to listen to?  Tell us about the room you are planning to use, size, windows, floor coverings etc.
I just recently became a Sonus Faber owner and would strongly recommend checking them out in your price range.

All the best.

Show Season is Starting… Couldn’t have began your search at a better time.

Capitol Audiofest in DC certainly the place to start - November

Florida Int’l HiFi Expo / Tampa - February (Fun in the Sun 👍)

Regarding your general question of whether or not speakers from 30 years ago still hold up today I can lend a perspective. I have a pair of Thiel CS6 speakers powered by a Krell KSA 300s that date from the mid 90's. I've been to 3 audio shows and I can testify that my system easily holds up to most every system I've heard under 6 figures. I've heard several systems that didn't sound as good as mine where the cables cost more than my entire rig.

I have also observed that the sound quality of speakers have become more similar relative to price. In other words, the difference between $100k speakes and $15k speakers is not as much as you would think. My overall advice is to go to an audio show or two and reconnect with the hobby. You may find that there are wonderful speaker choices that are affordable and that don't have the age related issues that older speakers could have. But if you have your heart set on a pair of WP's I don't think you will be far off the state of the art.

I didn’t think much of older speakers until I got a 20 year old and then a 40 year old. They both beat my 2 year old Evoke 20s

the difference between $100k speakes and $15k

I am pretty sure it's that last 10%

Same as between a 3K speaker and 15K speaker

Danny from GR Research has some very illuminating YouTube videos about the subject of speakers, parts and design. He has opened up some expensive speakers and often been surprised/disappointed by what he has found inside and the measurements of the speakers. It’s always good to do homework and it’s not always how much more money you spend….