New In 2024

Cite New Releases and Re-Issues on Atoms Mix, Blu-Ray Audio, CD, Download, EP, Hi-Rez, LP, SACD, Stream Formats.

128x128jafant

On November 1st, Elvis Costello’s King Of America (his own personal favorite of his many albums) is being released on LP by Universal Music. "Remastered from the original master tapes", for what that’s worth. I already own both original UK (on F-Beat Records) and MoFi copies, so don’t need this one.

On October 18th, Gone Away Backward by Robbie Fulks comes out on red vinyl (on Bloodshot Records, ironically wink).

Joe Schmoe from Kokomo. It’s much more fun to go to our record store then look at this.

I just learned that Sam Phillips' 2004 album A Boot And A Shoe was released on LP last month.

Costello's King Of America is also being released as a 6-CD "Super Deluxe" boxset.

bdp24

Yes! Let us hope that Elvis releases more Super Deluxe sets in the future.

Happy Listening!

Already in the racks:

Dave Edmunds: Swan Songs: The Singles 1976-1981.

For you younger fellas, Dave Edmunds emerged as a solo artist in 1970 (after having been a member of the UK trio Love Sculpture). He was on the short list of guitarists considered as the replacement for Brian Jones in The Stones, but thankfully they went with Mick Taylor instead. Dave recorded an old Blues song ("I Hear You Knocking", written by Dave Bartholomew and recorded by Smiley Lewis, Fats Domino, many others) that year, which miraculously became a Top 30 hit single (not being a radio listener at the time, I never heard it). He transformed the song into an absolute Rock 'n' Roll scorcher, with a smokin' hot guitar solo.

Robert Plant was a Dave Edmunds fan, and when Led Zeppelin started their record label Swan Song, Dave was Robert's first signing. Dave's 1977 Swan Song debut album Get It was my introduction to Dave, and he absolutely blew my mind! This 2-LP set is comprised of all Dave's Swan Song singles, and though I have all Dave's recorded material, this release is too juicy to resist. It will make for great driving music, pedal-to-the-metal baby!

On October 18th New West Records is releasing (on LP and CD) a various artists collection of recordings of songs written by David Olney. Entitled Can't Steal My Fire: The Songs Of David Olney, the artists include Lucinda Williams, Mary Gauthier, Steve Earle, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Buddy Miller, Jim Lauderdale, Townes Van Zandt, Willis Alan Ramsey. R.B. Morris, Greg Brown, and Janis Ian. Wow!

@jafant

RE: "For Everyman"

I found the previous remaster harsh, ended up seeking out the original CD.

I think I’ll wait awhile on this new one, see if anything comes up on S. Hoffman Forum re: comparative sonics, before I buy it. One of the things I’ve always loved about this album is the fact that D. Lindley plays acoustic guitar on it, along with J. Browne.

Don’t know if many will be interested in this:

John Martyn: Live at Rockpalast 1978 (released 9/6)

I’ve got a DVD of this show. He was pretty drunk, ringed by empty cans, but played well. I’m guessing he played very few gigs sober in his career. He eventually ruined his health with his bad habits but readily acknowledged he had only himself to blame. Of course, there's nothing remotely unusual about such a trajectory where gifted artists are concerned. 

It’s available on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=john+martym+live+at+rtockpalast+1978

stuartk

I own all of the Original Jackson Browne CDs from the 80's-90's.  I am sure some of his catalog has been Re-mastered at some point.  I do not have any of his remastered discs.

Happy Listening!