New In 2023

Cite New Releases and Re-Issues on CD, Download, EP, Hi-Rez, LP, SACD and Stream formats.

jafant

Coming soon to a record store near you: Here Are The Sonics !!! (exclamation points not of my doing) on Big Beat Records, the debut album from this greatest of all 1960’s Garage Bands. I have an original on Etiquette Records (plus the 1998 reissue on Norton Records. Mastered by Bob Irwin of Sundazed Records fame, liner notes by Miriam Linna, The Cramps original drummer and in the 1970’s The Flamin’ Groovies Fan Club president), but if you don’t you need this record! The recording sounds like sh*t, but it’s great sh*t. ;-)

On June 30th the Kentucky Colonels’ album 1966 will be released on LP and CD. The Colonels’ members included Clarence White, better known a member of the 3rd incarnation of The Byrds.

Michael Jerome Browne - "Gettin' Together". Some great guest musicians; JJ Milteau, Mary Flower, Eric Bibb, Colin Linden, John Sebastion, Happy Traum, Harrison Kennedy, Stephen Barry, John McColgan, Teilhard Frost. 

Out tomorrow (Friday, May 19th): Thomas Lauderdale Meets The Pilgrims.

Lauderdale is the leader of Pink Martini, and collaborating with him on this album are the Surf band Satan’s Pilgrims. Both are Portland, Oregon residents. I just heard about the album yesterday, when Lauderdale was interviewed on Portland’s Classical music station. The DJ played a coupla cuts, which were fantastic!

@fsonicsmith1: Yep Rock is one of my favorite labels. In addition to those you mentioned, also on the label are The Minus 5 (they opened for NRBQ when I saw them awhile back. Steve Berlin of Los Lobos joined both bands on stage), Kim Richie, Los Straitjackets (their bassist and I have known each other since 1962, and have played together in a coupla bands), Sloan, The Rubinoos, Tift Merritt, and of course Nick Lowe. Quite a roster!

And as a reminder, Robbie Fulks new album Bluegrass Vacation will be available on the 7th of this month. all formats. Providing Robbie musical accompaniment is the incredible lineup of Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Tim O'Brien, Ronnie McCoury, Alison Brown, John Cowan, and Sierra Hull. Wow!

@bdp24 I am right there with you. Robbie will be playing in Columbus in a small venue this Thursday. He is an amazing artist and like so many others in the weird world of artists, overlooked. When he comes through Central Ohio I never miss him. 

As to Yep Rock Records, in the vein of overlooked amazing artists, there is Alejandro Escovedo, Chuck Prophet, John Doe, and Dave Alvin. If only there was more justice in this World!

bdp24

I am looking  forward  the Bob Dylan release.

Happy Listening!

On July 14th Yep Rock Records is releasing an expanded version of Marshall Crenshaw's 1983 sophomore album, on a single CD and double LP, the latter in a color exclusive at Barnes & Noble.

Shadow Kingdom by Bob Dylan on June 2nd. 21st Century live recordings of songs from his catalog, available on a single CD and double LP.

Waco Brothers - The Men That God Forgot".

Eagerly awaiting the new Eilen Jewell 5/5/23.

I neglected to mention:

Robbie is currently on the road, so if you like the album help him make a living (he won’t make any dough off the album) by buying a ticket to see & hear him live (I’m sure he can’t afford to take his studio band on the road---they're expensive players, and worth every penny, so he’ll most likely be solo). Tickets are dirt cheap, only 22 bucks for the show at Polaris Hall in Portland Oregon. See ya there!

Oh, and on May 19th there’s a new album coming out from Marty Stuart And His Fabulous Superlatives, entitled Altitudes. LP, CD, MP3, streaming.

For those who don’t have an original LP (or the reissue from Sundazed done in the 1980’s), and haven’t wanted to pay $42 for the current reissue by Speakers Corner, on April 21st Albert King’s fantastic album Born Under A Bad Sign will be out on LP from Craft Recordings at $29.95 retail. Albert is backed by the fantastic Booker T & The MG’s, as well as The Memphis Horns. If you Stevie Ray Vaughan fans want to learn upon what Stevie based his style, you GOTTA hear this LP!

And as a reminder, Robbie Fulks new album Bluegrass Vacation will be available on the 7th of this month. all formats. Providing Robbie musical accompaniment is the incredible lineup of Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Tim O'Brien, Ronnie McCoury, Alison Brown, John Cowan, and Sierra Hull. Wow!

arcticdeth

Always good to see you waving the Metal flag.

Happy Listening!