New In 2023

Cite New Releases and Re-Issues on CD, Download, EP, Hi-Rez, LP, SACD and Stream formats.

jafant

Not literally new, but available again after being out of print for quite a while:

Ry Cooder's 1970 Warner Brothers Records debut album, reissued in 2021 by the great Speakers Corner Records (a German audiophile company), back in stock. Pure analogue from the original master tape to the cutter head. A single 180g 33-1/3 RPM disc, pressed at Pallas, one of the three best plants in the world.

Produced by Van Dyke Parks and Lenny Waronker, musical accompaniment provided by Van Dyke, Richie Hayward (Little Feat), Johnny Barbata (The Turtles, Jefferson Starship. A fantastic drummer!), Roy Estrada (The Mothers), Milt Holland (well known Jazz and L.A. studio musician), and Chris Ethridge (The Flying Burrito Brothers).  

Announced in the promotional email I received from Music Direct last night:

An Ultradisc One-Step release of Paul Simon’s fantastic second album, There Goes Rhymin’ Simon (of all his albums, the only two I like are this and his first). The album features musical accompaniment by the superb Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section: Roger Hawkins on drums (you drummers: try and play along with "KodaChrome". Good luck! ;-), David Hood on bass, Jimmy Johnson on electric guitar, and Barry Beckett on piano. My God what a band!

As with all Ultradisc releases, it is comprised of two 45 RPM discs and retails for a penny under $125 (but shipping is free ;-). I don’t care for that, and am perfectly content with my great sounding Columbia Records original (the album was engineered by Phil Ramone and Jerry Masters) and the 1998 reissue done by Steve Hoffman for DCC, employing VAC vacumn tube electronics in his mastering.

bdp24

Thank You for this post as above. Yes! What a band!  Even though I am CD and SACD all of the way, I still respect Vinyl (Collectors). I hope that these "small batch" Vinyl editions still flourish in 2023. It is quite nice to have a fave title in absolute best pressing.

Happy Listening!

Rodney Crowell: The Chicago Sessions, due out on May 5th on New West Records, both LP and CD. For this album Rodney collaborated with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, both in writing and singing. Recorded in Wilco’s Chicago loft.

Mailman brought my Motörhead seriously bad magic box set. 
has 2 I think unreleased songs. 

other gimmicky stuff. 
released after the passing of the master, cash grab,…. It’s cool, also,a collector of cool box sets and other garbage as the wife calls it

Really liking the 

Fugitive - maniac ep

this makes me wanna drink a bottle of Bushmills, and put on my old Jean jacket, and start the elbows flailing in a nice circle pit

arcticdeth

Excellent Hard Rock and METAL coverage as always.

Happy Listening!

On April 7th Compass Records is releasing Bluegrass Holiday by Ronnie Fulks. Musical accompaniment provided by a who's who of Bluegrass superstars.

@jafant: A new one from Marty Stuart & his band! I hadn't heard.

By the way, Neil's 1977 band The Ducks included Bob Mosley of Moby Grape on bass, and drummer Johnny Craviotto, who later started making drums that are now considered the best in the world. Sadly Johnny passed away in 2016, at the age of 69. A heart attack.

bdp24

Thank You for the introduction of 'The Ducks'. Anything Neil Young or Crazy Horse is an instant purchase for me. I am looking forward to another year of NY and The Horse! I mean, Ducks!

Happy Listening!

@jafani: If you don't already have it, the 1971 s/t Crazy Horse album (Reprise RS 6438) is fantastic! Danny Whitten was still alive and in the band, as was pianist Jack Nitzsche. Nils Lofgren plays guitar and sings lead on one song, and Ry Cooder plays slide guitar on three songs.

The album was issued in an expanded 2-CD package in 2005 (coupled with their second album Loose), entitled Scratchy: The Complete Reprise Recordings (Reprise/Rhino Handmade RHM2 7884).

bdp24

Oh yes! I own all Neil Young catalog on CD. I own all Crazy Horse catalog on CD as well. A few bootlegs on CD thrown in for good measure.

I concur, the s/t disc is great. The 2005 re-issue on 2-CD is great.

Happy Listening!