New In 2023

Cite New Releases and Re-Issues on CD, Download, EP, Hi-Rez, LP, SACD and Stream formats.

jafant

Pink Floyd  -Atom Heart Mother (Japan 2021 Special Edition CD + Blu-Ray)

December

No sure if this has been discussed, but I bought a copy of Roger Waters, Dark Side Of The Moon Redux and it’s awful! I was so excited when it came out and so excited when it arrived in the mail and I didn’t make it through the fourth track before I turned it off and put on another album.

Oh well,  maybe the used record/CD store will give me some store credit for it.🙁

I got 2 last week;

Willie Nelson - "Bluegrass"

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "keeping secrets will destroy you"

On November 3rd of this year, the new Van Morrison album entitled Accentuate The Positive will be released. What makes this album so interesting is the songs chosen. Amongst them are:

- "When Will I Be Loved". Written by Phil Everly, a hit for his brother Don and himself in 1960 and for Linda Ronstadt in 1975.

- "Problems". The Everly Brothers again.

- "Flip, Flop, And Fly". Big Joe Turner did a great version of this song.

- "(I Don’t Want To) Hang Up My Rock ’n’ Roll Shoes". Written by Chuck Willis, done in an excellent version by The Band on their Rock Of Ages live album.

- "The Shape I’m In". Originally by The Band on their Stage Fright album, pianist/drummer/singer Richard Manuel---a pal of Van’s---singing the song.

- "Lonesome Train". A Rockabilly song originally done by The Johnny Burnette Trio.

- "A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues". Originally recorded by Arthur Alexander, later by English singer Johnny Kidd And The Pirates, then by The Beatles in three of their four Live At The BBC appearances. Dave Edmunds recorded a great version of the song---included in his 1975 album Subtle As A Flying Mallet, as did The Flamin’ Groovies and many others.

- "Shakin’ All Over". Written by Johnny KIdd and first recorded by himself and his band The Pirates, but best known to many by it’s appearance on The Who’s Live At Leeds album. I heard The Who perform the song live in 1968, but my favorite version by far is that of The pre-Burton Cummings’ Guess Who.

- "Blueberry Hill". Well known in the Fats Domino version.

- "Lucille". The Little Richard song, of course.

- "Shake Rattle And Roll". Best known in the version by Bill Haley & The Comets, but I prefer the version by Big Joe Turner.

- "Bonaparte’s Retreat". Best known in the 1950 version by Country & Western singer Pee Wee King.

A great collection of songs, and I can’t wait to hear how Van approaches them. The original versions of the songs were performed in styles Van is not known for, and I can’t imagine how he does them.