Network Switches

david_ten
@thyname Ok, USB to the endpoint makes it super clear. I got confused thinking RJ45 to the endpoint was the goal.

I understand there are some clocking things (beyond my pay scale of understanding) that the EtherREGEN does but I wonder how it compares with the following for USB end point streaming. So taking the EtherREGEN + OpticalRendu scenario you described and comparing with the following:

https://www.ui.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/   (or EtherREGEN) (Fiber Optical  Output for either one)

+

Sonore Signiture Rendu SE Optical -> USB DAC input

Or to go a little crazy and compare with (non-USB end point)

https://www.ui.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/  (or EtherREGEN)  (Fiber Optical Output for either one)

+

Lumin X1 using Fiber Optical DAC input

In the future, I see a lot more DACs with a Fiber optical input. Just 3 years ago I was wondering if RJ45 DAC input was the future over USB.
I don't know. I cannot possibly try them all. I have an Innuos ZENith MK3 and a DAC with USB input, so I look for potential solutions that may improve that particular set up. It's worth experimenting and trying different things. It's a hobby, so it's fun
Have anyone compared between local file playback and streaming media?

@windowsx   Since you are in the 'biz' how about sharing your findings and thoughts on the question you ask?

I'm 100% streaming so I do not have results to share. 

Many find their local files to be superior.  [???Notwithstanding the rigorousness / equivalency of (or lack thereof) their comparisons???] 
Well, allow me to introduce myself first. I'm a passionate audiophile who use high quality digital sources like Esoteric/Emm Labs/etc. When playing file from server couldn't match the quality of flagship CD transport, I developed my own solution that could be considered very close and satisfying enough for me to enjoy.

Then I signed up for Tidal streaming CD quality, it was a disappointment comparing to tracks I ripped from CD with Plextor Premium2 drive. Many of my highend audiophile friends and vendors also told me in private that Tidal sounds unacceptable for highend systems. They also sell and use with other servers too not just my products.

So, I spent years searching for promising solution to cure network inferiority hoping I can enjoy Tidal streaming with my systems. I couldn't find one that I can truly enjoy with. They usually sound more cleaner or more spatial with richer ambient or more quiet but couldn't get solid dynamics and coherent sound that can deliver good deep and tight bass with good control and expand.

Well, at least my recent product is good enough for me to deliver missing aspects and my friend who used to complain about Tidal now say he can enjoy Tidal in serious highend system even with airplay. Some also said it's like playing from hard drive directly. So I get satisfying results now.

I think having a good reference to compare will make evaluation of our systems being more rational. Going streaming only is also fine. I'm just curious if there's anyone else comparing between streaming and good quality local playback to notice the difference.

Regards,
Keetakawee