Mogami 3106 - Bass Heads, this is for you.

I just replaced white zip cord with copper spades with Mogami 3106 and silver banana plugs. This is not by any stretch a neutral cable.

This cable is DARK but also wow, what bass, and better than average imaging.

In case you don’t know, this is Mogami’s 4 x 12 gauge OFC speaker wire. I can’t say I’m super happy with it just yet. I may need to reduce the amount of bass I have my EQ set to. Also, for a DIY cable it is a giant PITA to dress. The outer jacket is super flexible, and it is very easy to nick the individual insulators. I ended up buying a jacket stripper just for that reason. The claim is that these are 12 gauge stranded and honestly I don’t really buy it. I had a difficult time stripping them usiing 10 gauge stranded strippers. I also bought 3103, the 2 conductor version and I have to say it’s 4x easier to work with it. One of the difficulties is just making sure your connectors are big enough. The copper spades I had planned to use were not.

In terms of sound quality, think of mid-grade WireWorld Eclipse for the darkness with ... I can’t really compare any other cable to this in terms of bass. It’s just a lot more than I’ve ever heard.

If you are patient as a builder and have a bright system lacking in bass, I highly recommend this cable. 

erik_squires

Doh, got the model wrong.  The 4 conductor is 3104.  The 2 conductor is 3103.

Best prices on 3104 I know of is at Markertek, but only Parts Express has 3103 by the foot.

Mogami 3104 does have alot of low end...good lowend though.With enough burnin it does balance out <> eventually.The pangeas were perfect with this (7 awg).

It is dark...but neutral.Stripping these things...learning curve/splice is my recommendation.

Come on Erik:

You know the drill (wait a few hundred hours).

My recently put together mini system is now sounding quite good (3 weeks in).

Can't pontuncate as to break-in of the various components as it's such a hodgepodge of 15 year old NOS/new-new and the speakers/power cord that have not been used in the past 10 years, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than it did 2 weeks ago.

I was concerned about the old NIB Sharp SD-EX111 still boxed 15 years later, and also about the new stranded Canare cable (never been a fan of stranded speaker cable), but  it sounds good enough to look into better (easier to drive) speakers.

The Polk RT15's usually require a lot more power than the Sharp's 20 watt Class-D output, but this is a near-field setup for the computer (45" from speaker to ear).

What's funny is that the Sharp was $75/shipped/closeout (retail $500) and the Polk's were $13.50 @ a local thrift.

The Tripp-lite surge protector/Canare speaker cable/spades for the Canare cost more than than the Sharp/Polk's (then add in the lonely/unsued for a decade $400+ BMI power cord;-).

In hindsight I should have made 12" Canare speaker cables in order that I could switch them into the main rig (compare them to the 47 Labs OTA).

DeKay

I needed a cheap pair of cables for a balanced connection so I chose Mogami and after about 50 hours they kind of suck. Perhaps they will get better, but lower mid-grade would be my rating at this point. What I will say is that using and comparing cables on a true differentially balanced pre and power amp doesnt highlight cable differences as much as when I used single ended. 

I don't use Mogami for balanced.  I use my own DH Labs pure silver balanced and shileded. 

I resurrected this pair from the closet and frybaby them in for 24 hours...They are a full meal deal alright.After the weekend with them my opinion of them has shifted from meh to wtf was i thinking.Things have opened up are dialing in.Ok they are what they are...but some of the jazz bass stuff is the nicest tone/weight i have had in my system.For stand mount yeah this still has some awg to throw at them...all in all its a pretty satisfying listen after all.