Modern day female jazz recommendations

We all know the classics from decades ago. What are your favorite your more contemporary female jazz singers of today?

Living close to Nashville I have the opportunity to see and hear a lot of up and coming artists. Nashville is NOT just country music by a long shot.

I'll start with Diana Krall....
dean_fuller

Showing 3 responses by keith944t

Not Jazz you say, maybe technically but...If you're just looking at great sounding female vocalists with great music... K.D. Lang with Tony Bennet is awesome and rather Jazz based, There are a ton of Bonnie Raitt songs that are sheer vocal delights. Also, Michelle Shocked has a great voice. Another blast from the past, the Linda Ronstadt triple album, think it's called "After Midnight" recorded with the Nelson Riddle orchestra...INCREDIBLE! The Trio albums of Linda Ronstadt, Emylou Harris and Dolly Parton are pretty sweet too. As others have said, Patricia Barber, Eva Cassidy, are great, one smokey and sultry the other open clear and sweet.
But if you want fire and brimstone female vocals (not Jazz for sure) The all time queen is still Janis. No, not Ian,.... Joplin.
Check out Frank Sinatra's Duets I & II, I know he's a he...but this disc has some great vocals with Carly Simon, Patti laBelle, Chrissie Hynde, Aretha, Barbara Streisand, Gloria Estefan, and on it goes, also there's a duet with Jimmy Buffet doing Mack the Knife. Very Cool... and I was NEVER a fan of the chairman, until now..go figure!
I would LOVE to hear Crissie Hynde do a "jazz" standards type disc!
I also picked up "The Best of Holly Cole". Very nice voice, some neat songs I had never heard as well as some covers like "I've just seen a face" and "Alison".
I'll probably look for some more Holly Cole too.