Melco N100 vs Sonore opticalrendu

Hi

I am currently using a laptop connected to my dac (denafrips terminator) and would like to upgrade my source. 

Being new to this, would like to ask for experience between melco N100 (paired with a plixir linear power supply) and sonore opticalrendu, as I have heard good things about both. 

Which would be better? And would I need to get a music server for the sonore? (To prevent the jitter/noise from my laptop to still dirty the stream going into the sonore?) 

Aiming for a larger and more relaxed soundstage, with darker background. Other benefits eg sweeter and softer mids, better imaging are of course appreciated :)

Thanks!

Regards
Ben
thegreenman

Showing 3 responses by yyzsantabarbara

I have 2 opticalRendu’s with LPS.

I use a cheap DELL server to run ROON. My Rendu’s are ROON READY, including my microRendu (I have 3 DACs).

I use this Network Switch with fibre ($200).
Switch PoE 8 (150W) – Ubiquiti Inc.

I connect the 2 fibre outputs of the switch to the Sonore OpticalRendu’s using the Sonore SystemOptic accessories (cable, SPF etc).

I also have a PoweLine addition to to my home network and my music server is connected to that via Ethernent. I will argue that the fibre just before my DAC KILLS all the noise. There must be a ton of noise before my fibre wire. I think the fibre is the magic bullet and that is why this setup sounds so amazing.

Well what I am saying and doing might be considered hearsay by many people with great music servers. I just do not see the need for it given what I am hearing.

Do some more reading on the fibre which for me saved me a ton of money.

The noise from the DELL server, power suppliers, etc ,,, is in the network and the DAC is on the network too. So this noise can and will get to the DAC unless the fibre is used. Now I have no measurements to confirm this other than my ears comparing the microRendu (Ethernet to USB) to my opticalRendu (fibre to USB).

An argument can be made that USB is not the best DAC input connection, but it works for me and a lot of DAC manufacturers recommend it.
I got both the most expensive one and the cheaper one. I really cannot tell the difference.