Mcintosh C2600 preamp tube upgrade

I recently added the new McIntosh C2600 tube preamp to my system. It's paired up with the MC452 power amp along with Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers and Transparent interconnects/speaker cable.
I"m looking for some guidance with regard to upgrading the tubes in the C2600. Should I, or shouldn't I ? 
Also, what brand should I look for and where should I buy them. And finally, is this a diy upgrade or should I have it done at a audio shop? 
I appreciate any guidance all you audiophiles can offer
ad48170

Showing 3 responses by ejr1953

I have a C2500 and in that one, though the tubes are identified as "McIntosh", they are JJ tubes from the Czech Republic.

As my preamp is under warranty, I'll hold off on replacing the tubes, when I do, I've had several people point me to the Genalax Gold Lions as a great upgrade.
Jetter,
I found somewhere on the web that the "a" at the end of 12ax7a meant that it had a wound filament.  Not sure what that means to the sound quality.
I upgraded the stock tubes which were delivered with my McIntosh C2500 with a matched set of Genalex Gold Lions and immediately noticed more "musical" sounds, especially for voices and natural instruments (piano, classical guitar, violins, etc.)