Made In China

There seems to be a lot of varying opinion when it comes to China and the products that are made there. I personally know of an audio store in my home town that made the decision to no longer carry products with manufacturing ties in China. Maybe that’s why they have such a limited show room? Recently, I purchased a Cayin RU2 portable DAC and headphone dongle that‘s made in China. It’s the only audio product that I own that’s solely manufactured by a Chinese company and so far I have no complaints. Of course, my Apple products were likely made in China and I like those a lot. And if I’m correct (and I’m likely incorrect), Denafrips and Schiit Audio products are assembled in China but I’m uncertain where those companies are located. So I’m just wondering about audio products from Asia that offer high end build and sound quality. I would assume that most products from China, Korea, Japan, etc… offer a high value for the dollar? Anyway, please feel free to share your opinion and knowledge on this topic as I’m wanting to learn more about what‘s out made and engineered in that part of the world.

Thanks!

goofyfoot

I notice that anytime a question is asked about Audio Equipment that has anything to do with China, a large percentage of comments become political.  While we are all entitled to our opinions, I would remind everyone of the story of Glass Houses and Stones.  When I look at the mess in our own countries, I question the Holier Than Thou attitudes being tossed about.  Let's get back to discussing audio equipment and leave the saving of the world to those more qualified.  Like The Donald. 😭

I purchased interconnects from china for under $100 per piece.

I’ve owned some good interconnects in the past such as the sigma v2, and a used pair of the stealth audio Indra V10 (these were not cheap $$).

Are the chinese cables as good as either of them? no

but honestly, they are not that far off. To get this quality elsewhere I would have to pay many multiples more

I havent purchased anything else directly from China but the value is there. You cant match the bang for buck

Would I rather support a domestic company? of course

But the price disparity is ridiculous. Like maybe if I could match the quality of these interconnects for $1,000 we could have a discussion.... but I cant. Some of these xlrs are 5 figures and the price gouging is out of control so I have no regrets 

The stereotype of China making junk is really outdated, and simply not true. I focus on buying Made in USA when possible and practical, but judge other purchases by the company making them, not the freakin location. I work for one of the top three electronics contract manufacturers on the planet, and have for the past 28 years+ with plants and employees in China and all over Asia and the rest of the planet. We make high tech stuff for the top names.  Many of these places operate extremely high tech and high quality manufacturing. We live in a world economy, so you cannot escape the fact that some components of whatever you buy will not be Made in USA for many reasons. Get past the old stereotypes of Asia making junk as that is not the case even though there is still a lot of low end stuff being made there, it's not the rule. For folks who focus on Made in USA, there is still a lot to choose from if you look.

@mahgister Russia not "owning any military bases out of their historical borders"

other than an entire army in another country, bombing cities and villages, killing and and raping and torturing civilians and shipping babies and children into brainwashing camps. Small nuance. I thought you were somewhat reasonable.

What does it take the admin to remove this wildly politicized post?

My 2 cents:

Boycotting goods for political reasons is a form of political activism. We intend to induce change, or at the very least opt out of involvement with those we don't agree with, or find utterly disgusting.  While we might feel better about ourselves, our "activism" may not produce the change we looking for.  Oftentimes our "good intentions" actually make things worse for those we are trying to "help."  I can sight many examples. 

As far as the CCP is concerned, you don't have to look very deep to see how complex the income stream is for that country.  Political royalty from all over the globe have expressed "public anti-CCP ideologies" yet take bribes and do business with those who, let's say, don't have our best interests at heart. So, we're sitting here at our desktop agonizing on whether or not to purchase a DAC from a Chinese company, while billions are being pushed in their direction by those we "trust".  Yes, I get the "living with yourself" factor, and we all want to do the "right thing."  I boycotted an American company that insulted their customers: "Here's our stance.  If you don't agree with us you're stupid, and a terrible person."  I understand the hesitation to support those who (as reported) are 180 degrees out of phase with our core values (or grossly misinterpret our values).

It gets back to the audio.  Value is certainly a consideration.  But, there not one person here that isn't willing to pay more to get more.  Sometimes Chinese goods fill that basic requirement as well.