Mac Mini As A Streaming Source

I have been looking to add a digital streaming source to my sound system and so am VERY new to this process.  But, from what I see the variety is mind boggling and there is no complete device out there that would do CD/SACD playback, plus all available music streaming apps, plus Roon.

I use apple music for high res/lossless streaming on my phone, especially their new classical service as that is my primary listening, so compatibility with this app is mandatory.  This, however, seems to eliminate every single digital streamer out there.  But, am I missing something?

So, what are the thoughts on using a mac mini for a dedicated source, linked to a DAC?  I can put all of the streaming apps there, and install Roon there, and put my existing CD ripped files on the hard drive. Connect to the internet over wifi.

What output cable would I use to connect to the internal DAC on my Mark Levinsion 585.5?

Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards?

The only thing missing would be CD playback, but could that be accomplished using  a DVD/Blu Ray reader attached to the Mac?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

gwhphoto

@mahler123 So, I’m running HQPlayer now on my M2 Mac Mini. I think there is an improvement in sound quality. I’m still trying different filters and such. It is cheap compared to buying a hardware upsampler. I bought a license for HQPlayer 5.

Installation was easy after I figured out that I had been tricked by the volume control and that the Roon could not set a fixed level in HQPlayer.

Also, I added HQPlayer to Login Items on the Mac Mini so it so installed when the Mac is started. I run headless with the Luna dongle to transmit the screen to my iPad. It works pretty well. I can change options in HQPlayer from the IPad.

@larrykell

Thanks for posting your feedback. I reckon there are lot of filters to play with..I have gone through only 5 so far, still figuring out the best combo…lol!

I was also struggling with keeping HQP running headless on my mini-pc so thanks for sharing info on Luna. I like the fact that you can change options in HQP from iPad.