Mac Mini As A Streaming Source

I have been looking to add a digital streaming source to my sound system and so am VERY new to this process.  But, from what I see the variety is mind boggling and there is no complete device out there that would do CD/SACD playback, plus all available music streaming apps, plus Roon.

I use apple music for high res/lossless streaming on my phone, especially their new classical service as that is my primary listening, so compatibility with this app is mandatory.  This, however, seems to eliminate every single digital streamer out there.  But, am I missing something?

So, what are the thoughts on using a mac mini for a dedicated source, linked to a DAC?  I can put all of the streaming apps there, and install Roon there, and put my existing CD ripped files on the hard drive. Connect to the internet over wifi.

What output cable would I use to connect to the internal DAC on my Mark Levinsion 585.5?

Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards?

The only thing missing would be CD playback, but could that be accomplished using  a DVD/Blu Ray reader attached to the Mac?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

gwhphoto

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I use Apple Music as my streaming source.  I use AirPlay from my iPad or Chromecast from my Android phone.  Chromecast sounds better.  My streamer is Cambridge Audio CXN 60.

I didn’t get what amp the OP is using.  For silver disc replay connect the disc spinner to the same DAC you use with the streamer, or else just run it directly into the amp, if you prefer the internet DAC of the disk spinner.

I didn’t address Roon here, because I don’t use it.  Frankly, Apple has co-opted so many of the Roon features, I think Roon is a waste, and you may lose access to some of the Apple Spatial Audio offerings.  If Roon is essential, then get a streamer that handles it.

You can use a Mini for all of this, but a dedicated streamer will sound better and leave you less at the Mercy of Apple updates, which tend to to mess up interfaces with non Apple equipment