Lyra Titan: Stylus broken during shipping

Analog friends; I've a question.

I purchased a Titan i for the second arm on my tt. It's a dealer demo cartridge described as "best condition".

This one arrived yesterday:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z39o3l.jpg

Did anyone of you ever had a damage like this on transport? The cartridge was very well packed in original box with stylus guard. Btw. it was impossible to find the broken stylus in the box.

Thanks for sharing your experiences,
Marco
heradot
To move the discussion in the right direction: System was purchased by a local dealer who got it from the official local distributor. No customs were involved in our deal.

Started the discussion just to get a technical advice whether such a damage can occur on shipping.

Best,
Marco
Philb7777 --- Yepppp... That's the one... With so many correspondents I made with them, I released that the only thing I could expect is to keep the Classic 1 and cross my finger not to find out more surprise.

My point is that, it would be much easy for me to settle and solve this transaction if I were in the US...but being at oversea, they might know very well that most customers would select to make up their mind rather than mess up with Customs, FedEx, and etc...

This is very much unfair and, for me, fade off my strong intention to come back into the hobby I love this time

Luckily the VPI HR-X clamp came to be brand-new :)

Btw, I wish for the best luck to the OP on this cart. I hope he will find proper solution with his dealer.

And also I wish all of you guys a Merry X.Mas (a bit late), and a wonderful New Year....

Reading most of your threads and thoughts have inspired me so much.

Cheers !!!
..to be fair to the seller, scratches on the Classic, and on the stabilizing weight, are just visual problems. If indeed you paid less than you would if you bought a sealed package from the factory, than I think you have little to complain about. You bought those components primarily for their sonic virtues, and if the Classic is running right, you should be happy with the "deal" that was made. On the other hand, the unusable cartridge (not that it was dirty) is another matter.
Actually twice. One time was when a cartridge came direct from Asia and the distributor didn't check it before shipping. The cartridge arrived with guard on and no cantilever. Obviously customs broke it and then just put the guard back on :(

Second time was with another cartridge where it was shipped from the distributor to a dealer (who was to listen to it over the weekend and then send it on to me) and then to me. This time arrived w/o guard on, cantilever broken and not in box. I surmised dealer broke it and then stuffed it in box to collect insurance. Thing is, the only way cantilever can disappear is if SOMEONE opened the box between the dealer and you.

One addition thing: that cartridge has had a lot of hours of playing under its belt based upon the dirtiness of the bottom of the transducer. That black color happens over a couple of years of playing. Hope the seller insured the cartridge!