Luxman L-509x for B&W 803 D3

I recently acquired a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3 speakers. My integrated Amp is currently Luxman L-509x rated 120 WPC at 8 Ohms and 220 WPC at 4 Ohms. Class A/B, but Class A biased for the first few Watts.

Is my integrated amp good enough for my 803 D3, or do they need more power? I have read / heard the 800 series B&W need gobbles of power to shine.

Thanks!
128x128thyname

Showing 2 responses by erik_squires

To put this another way, I don't know of a better integrated than the one you already have, but if you were able to audition side by side, I'd consider the Ayre integrated as a potential option.
I'm looking at the impedance chart. The 509 is no slouch, at all, but the 803 D3 maintains an impedance around 3Ohms for a wide range of the bass to mids. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-wilkins-802-d3-diamond-loudspeaker-measurements

Your own ears should be your best guides, but it is my experience that this is a case where amps with more current capability (i.e. lower impedance) do significantly better.

The 900u has literally 2x the number of output transistors compared to the 509. The increased number of output transistors is one of the key components of the Luxman stepping. That is, more = better.

I wouldn't automatically jump on the 900u, but I absolutely would try it. 

Best,
E