Luxman L-509X as a preamp

I have an Ayre VX-5 that I really enjoy. I am considering an Ayre KX-5 preamp to pair with it. I currently use a Rogue RH-5 and it sounds great. But I am thinking the KX-5 will have more synergy. I also have been kicking around the idea of having an integrated amp and like everything I see and hear about the Luxman L509X. I thought of picking one up and using it as a preamp for the VX-5. Has anyone else used this integrated as a pre? If so, what are your thoughts?

128x128re-lar-kvothe

@mtbiker29 I have PMC twenty5.22, PMC Twenty5.26i and ATC SCM50's (coming soon) that I use the Luxman for but now as a Pre only as i doesn't have the weight I'd like to power the speakers.  I love the sound and also appreciate having a phono preamp.  I'm using a Musical Fidelity A308CR as my power amp. 

The meters work when the separate button is not activated, the pre outs at the back always work regardless of using the separate button. 

I did look at the C/M900 setup but at the time cannot justify the spend over the setup I have working well for now.  I may need to rethink this when my ATC's arrive as they may need some more power. 

@erik_squires 

I ended up selling the Ayre gear (outstanding stuff by the way) and buying a new Luxman L-509Z in September 2023. I paired it with an Aurender A20 streamer/DAC. I also run a Thorens TD-1601 TT with an Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge. The MC specs of the 509Z are almost a perfect match for the Cadenza. I used Harbeth SHL5 30th anniversary speakers with it and they sounded quite nice. I sold them too as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I tried a pair of Wharfdale Linton Heritages which sound nice. I swapped those out (and are for sale) for my old Klipsch Chorus lls. Sounds very nice. But I am looking for some monitors to go with the 509Z. I talked with Fritz yesterday. I am going to give a set of his design a go for now. I will keep the Chorus lls to use with my tube amps. Truth be told, I have never been happier with my set up. 

OP:  Fritz and I talk about Luxmans with his speakers often.  I think they'll be a marvelous fit.

OP: 

by the way, curious what you liked more about the Luxman, since Ayre is often a brand I think about getting also.  What did you hear?