Luxman L-509X as a preamp

I have an Ayre VX-5 that I really enjoy. I am considering an Ayre KX-5 preamp to pair with it. I currently use a Rogue RH-5 and it sounds great. But I am thinking the KX-5 will have more synergy. I also have been kicking around the idea of having an integrated amp and like everything I see and hear about the Luxman L509X. I thought of picking one up and using it as a preamp for the VX-5. Has anyone else used this integrated as a pre? If so, what are your thoughts?

128x128re-lar-kvothe

Showing 3 responses by re-lar-kvothe

@eugene81 

Dual purpose use was my intention but decided to go with an Ayre KX-5 Twenty as my pre. 

@erik_squires 

I ended up selling the Ayre gear (outstanding stuff by the way) and buying a new Luxman L-509Z in September 2023. I paired it with an Aurender A20 streamer/DAC. I also run a Thorens TD-1601 TT with an Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge. The MC specs of the 509Z are almost a perfect match for the Cadenza. I used Harbeth SHL5 30th anniversary speakers with it and they sounded quite nice. I sold them too as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I tried a pair of Wharfdale Linton Heritages which sound nice. I swapped those out (and are for sale) for my old Klipsch Chorus lls. Sounds very nice. But I am looking for some monitors to go with the 509Z. I talked with Fritz yesterday. I am going to give a set of his design a go for now. I will keep the Chorus lls to use with my tube amps. Truth be told, I have never been happier with my set up. 

@erik_squires 

To be honest, there was nothing I didn't like about the Ayre pre/amp pairing. The sound was amazing. Likely the best set up I ever owned. However, I was looking for an integrated. I had a Boulder 866 which was very good but there were a couple idiosyncrasies I did not appreciate. No phonostage was one. The other was the DAC left a lot to be desired. That was a big issue for me. So, I traded it for the 509Z, even up. I paid $8K for the 866 so that translated to a good deal for the 509Z. The bonus was the 509Z combined with the A20 sounds better than the Boulder. I did not have the A20 with the Ayres so I cannot comment on that. I assume they would play nice together. IMHO, to my ears there is not a lot of difference between the Ayres and Luxman. If you can find a used VX-5 Twenty and a KX-5 Twenty for a decent price that would be a great way to go. Or new if you can swing it would be best.

One last thing, I did get a chance to hear the Ayre EX-8 2.0 and it too is an outstanding piece of gear. If you ever go integrated, it should be on your short list.