Luxman 509x vs Hegel H390

The shortlist is mainly coming down to these two genuinely great amps.

What sets them apart in SQ overall & how would you describe the sound signature for each one.

chaseton

Showing 10 responses by chaseton

I have the B&W 705 Signature bookshelf speakers. So, either one in the power output dept. should be quite sufficient. Now , it all just really comes down to SQ, both have some terrific reviews then just a sprinkling of not so stellar ones. 

For the Luxman 507 , just how much does it give up to it's sibling 509x in terms of transparency, detail and air between the instruments/vocals . With that in mind , does it have the edge there or lack of compared to the Hegel H390?. 

As for the Hegel H390, why so many on the used market anyhow, putting the issue of aesthetics in the long term , are people selling due to a tiresome possibly dark and dour SQ in time ?. 

Erik _s,

I see you have/had the 507 at one time. Just how was it with transparency and more importantly spatial presentation of the instruments/vocals including the palpable air in the recording venue. This particular aspect to the sound would be one of the defining aspects of a good amp compared to an average one.

Good input guys. For comparison purposes with the Lux and Hegel , listened to some demos with the Moon Audio 600i V2 & although spatially more expansive, it just does not have the smooth sweetness of note contours displayed by the others. In fact , I would safely bet. at least for my music tastes, the MA 600i to get rather tiresome in time. 

So, the process of elimination leaves in the Lux and Hegel while striking out other equally well rated amps with significantly different sound signatures. 

If only Hegel made the H390 in Silver , might go some ways to reduce trade ins as aesthetics is a serious consideration at this price point. The Luxman 509x is veritable tank construction and at 63 lbs, would need to check rack shelves can handle this load. 

After much consideration , carefully weighed with input from everyone here in mind.. The final nod went to the Luxman 509uxii . The more one looked at the Hegel , it became clear the aesthetic shortcomings not to mention the rather "heavy dense if not dour soiund" might pose issues in terms of long term ownership.

Paid via paypal on ebay , 30 days to try it out , seller pays for return shipping if there is anything amiss, will have an audio tech give it a thorough check. Ended up paying a little over $7.5k incl. tax for the new item. It was after one more listen last night to an audio clip with the 509uxii, then all was clear, get this amp. Should be here in less than two weeks. I am so looking forward to having it in my system.

The Luxamas, both the 507 and 509 are just a feast for the eyes. With either the blue tone of the display on the 507 or the plain white on the 509 being so visually appealing. Did Hegel take the Scandinavian prosaic minimalist approach in black  a bit too far perhaps ?..I tend to believe this might explain so many 390s on the used market. 

Another one that surprised me lately, although a bit pricier , still might consider given its good looks and huge detail and spatial rendering is the Moon 600i  V2 from Simaudio. However it lacks the sweet smooth nature of the 507/509. 

Correction : make that the L-509-x.

Made in Japan & ordered from Japan in new condition.

Could not be any happier.

The hegel 390 proved non agreeable on many fronts with further analysis. What are they trying to achieve with these looks , then the overly man handled sound , did they think the 250 w over 8ohm would somehow dazzle the masses ??

The Lux 509 on the other hand along with the Moon tbh were all polish on natural offerings......something a bit weird about hegel and off-putting before long as evidenced by the quick detachment factor leading to trade ins after a short period in time. 

If not for the Lux 509, would have been the 600i or even the 340x from Moon. 

The journey has been long and in the end rewarding ......the 509 a thing of beauty .....the hegel a weird creation of which I decline any part of .......the Moon offerings remain in the agreeable and desired list ,  could be switched here and there with my 509....just for kicks  & why not....

Music is just the VE we seek in our lives ..........for that Luxman and Simaudio Moon check most if not al the boxes

Some additional points :

Seller on ebay, 100% + feedback , will provide the step up transformer free of charge in the order.

The magic of this hobby is when one is inundated with listening tests and reviews coming at you from all the major publications , there comes a pivotal point when the decision is made. This is the one to go with & that indeed happened to me when listening to some vocalists intently , all the realism in the world was there , along with an almost ethereal glow , such is what the Luxman 509 provides. In fact, I have saved money along the way going with the 509. So much so , a used Moon 600i or new 360x could be joining the L 509 in several months time. The contrast between these two amps will no doubt provide some future listening sessions surfeited with critical intrigue.

As for speakers , after much testing .....the newer B&W - namely the D4 - models seem to have everything I find desirable and livable with a speaker. Seems just right to my ears.

Just some updates on the recent Luxman 509x purchase. In addition to the most rewarding musical communication and deeply satisfying sound quality, the 509x has the highest WAF of all the audio components owned thus far. Something so reassuring about the tank like construction and impeccable build quality. Now, I did have the chance to listen briefly to a 590axii recently, this class A amp probably would have a serious contender if the 509x was unavailable to purchase. 

As for the money saved with the purchase of the 509x, had figured approx. $12k and ended up spending under $8k for it. With the saved money, I said what the heck and took up the offer of a very attractively priced Esoteric F-07 from a colleague. Took some bargaining before the we sealed the deal and the F-07 has been in the backup audio system for just over a week now. 

So far I have been convinced it is just a waste of time to try and pick winners or argue which is better of the two.  Instead I consider what music genre plays better on either with their individual strengths in mind and the mood at the time. I was really fortunate to arrive at two great integrated amps in this recent project. For most anyone that is making a decision on "the" one amp , let your ears tell you what you should buy, be open to all options and most of all be prepared to be surprised. For me I had my sights set on a Moon 600i before hearing the Luxman 509x and next wondered how this amp was never on my radar before. 

I will end up by saying Blues and R&B has never sounded better to my ears than with the recently acquired Esoteric F-07. Whereas the Luxman 509x is the all around music virtuoso.