low frequencies

Hey all, Running a pair of Thiel CS2.4 floor standing speakers and the bass is only sounding best when i'm not seated and in a rear corner of the room such as is where the equipment rack is. Is their a tradeoff in other areas of the sound quality to get more low frequency at the seated listening position?   

velocityofhue

I must have been lucky when setting up my system the way that I did. I chose the long wall to be my front wall as there are no windows behind it and I ended up about  8.5' from the front plane of the speakers which are 30" from the front wall (measured from front plane of baffle) with my head less than 1' from the back wall and I get all the bass I need, and then some.

I also found out that not all speakers had great bass. My last two choices were/are great concerning bass response. My old JBL 4319 monitors literally could shake and over load the room and my Atalante 3 monitors have almost the same effect.

Two speakers that I had from Decware were quite weak with the bass and the Tonian Labs speakers were okay as they revealed so much info that my mind could fill in the rest. I concur that moving them around (as much as a PITA that can be) could result in some happy and satisfying results.

All the best,
Nonoise

Try putting the speakers about 3 feet from the back wall and about 8 feet apart with the listening position about 8 feet from the center of the 2 speakers. What size is the room?

mlsstl , I really appreciate the valuable information. As with everyone else's shared experience and advice. I've not moved the cabinets closer to the walls yet. I'll try this out! 

As far as placement. The speakers are 30 in. from both the rear and side walls and 7ft 1/2 feet spaced apart from each other. (straight ahead currently , no toe-in) Room dimensions are 12ft 1/2 wide 18ft length 8ft ceiling . Thick carpet, curtains and couch. 

That is a good size room and it looks like you have them on the short wall so placement looks good. How far is the listening position from the imaginary plane between to 2 speakers? I know this might sound silly, but double check to make sure both speakers are hooked up in proper phase.

I have a pair of Thiel 2.4 in my second system. They were in my main system for a few years. I have owned them for a very long time and have had them in 4 rooms with at two different houses. The Thiels have great low bass extension and texture. Mean really good. But it is tuned flat so not boomy at all. Typical HI-Fi turned bass.  

this is 100% a room issue. Try pushing the speakers back so the driver face is 24” off the front wall. The sound stage will still be fine and the bass will be impressive. At that point if you can move your chair around until the bass sound good, sit there.