Looking for warm tube preamp (should pair well with Pass power amp), budget $6000

Right now I have an ARC ref5se and its nice but looking for something of similar quality but warmer (maybe Vac, CJ or something you think will fit well). Looking for smooth sound, full mid range.

Thanks!

smodtactical

I have enjoyed an Audible Illusions PA with a CJ Premier 11A for years, either new or used. Excellent PA

When I had recently received the Freya and festooned it with NOS GEs (a while back...maybe 132 years?) some friends and I had a little shoot out festival with a couple of ARC tubed preamps (one was a "reference" model), a Cary SLP 98, and a VTL something...my Freya stood its ground against all challengers and amazed the gang of audio geeks as a FAR less expensive alternative to the other precious items...possibly why its in Class A now. 

@decooney

Re; The Cary SLP-05, I have not heard the ultimate upgrade but everything you mention about the SLP-05 is right on. Cables and tubes can make a huge difference.

The other important factors are gain adjustment, rectifier and balanced inputs and outputs.

Gain adjustment is critical for having the cleanest and the most dynamic sound. There seems to be a large tolerance but it needs to be considered and not just cranked all the way as a default.

The 5AR4 / GZ34 rectifier can be upgraded to a NOS f32 made by Mullard off label for ~ 150.  Best 150 I have ever spent- more open and dynamic.  

I recommend using the balanced connections if at all possible, especially the balanced out to the amp even if the amp is single ended, use a neutrik adaptor.

the dynamics and sound stage are so much better using the balanced out vs. the single ended. not even close !