Looking for warm tube preamp (should pair well with Pass power amp), budget $6000

Right now I have an ARC ref5se and its nice but looking for something of similar quality but warmer (maybe Vac, CJ or something you think will fit well). Looking for smooth sound, full mid range.

Thanks!

smodtactical

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

@decooney

Re; The Cary SLP-05, I have not heard the ultimate upgrade but everything you mention about the SLP-05 is right on. Cables and tubes can make a huge difference.

The other important factors are gain adjustment, rectifier and balanced inputs and outputs.

Gain adjustment is critical for having the cleanest and the most dynamic sound. There seems to be a large tolerance but it needs to be considered and not just cranked all the way as a default.

The 5AR4 / GZ34 rectifier can be upgraded to a NOS f32 made by Mullard off label for ~ 150.  Best 150 I have ever spent- more open and dynamic.  

I recommend using the balanced connections if at all possible, especially the balanced out to the amp even if the amp is single ended, use a neutrik adaptor.

the dynamics and sound stage are so much better using the balanced out vs. the single ended. not even close !

usec cary slp05 on sale now. the slp 05 is awesome and makes you understand just how much a preamp can do!

I pair mine with a Pass XA25.  wonderful sound.