Looking for an Amp Replacement

I am in need of advice and direction on replacing my ML 23.5 amp. While replacing the power caps a cap on the output board was damaged and is no longer available. The most viable right now option is to start looking for a replacement amp and to complete repair down the road or scrap it... (was purchased used maybe 10 years ago)

It is for a second system that is mainly used for background and light listening to streamed/internet radio and the occasional CD and playback from NAS storage using JRiver.

Currently have pulled my Perreaux 3150 out of retirement and have been using that with acceptable results. Looking at a used amp for better bang for the buck return in the 150-200wpc and a budget of 2-3k+/-

Rest of system comprises of

ARC ls28, PSA DSD, Magnum Dynalab 801, Shahinian Acoustics Obelisk, Sony XA5400es CD  

I liked the sound I was able to get from this set up with the ML, but have a bad experience with a 333 in main system a while back and as such I do not have a lot of faith in their newer gear.

While not expecting someone to have identical components, would like to hear from tube/ss combos people as I am using this in three systems and really like the overall sound.

128x128stevea1298

I take pleasure in making you aware of a Amp Design called the Neurochrome 686.

I have been demo'd this design in all the available build guises prior to Covid Times and have been left thoroughly impressed.

I have also been demo'd this design in A/B comparisons to other well regarded Power Amp's.

The higher wattage (686) model was A/B compared to a variety of Amp's DIY/Commercial of which a Commercial Amp was a Soulution Power Amp'. The demo's were carried out on a £200ishK system and it was very difficult to suggest the Neurochrome was bettered by the Soulution, but definitely stood out for its qualities.

I have been demo'd the lower wattage (40W) Neurochrome in A/B comparisons against my own Amp's in my own system, as well as other Amp's in systems owned by others. The Neurochrome in this guise still stands out as a superb Amp', definitely hard to believe so much is available for the cost. In this guise it would be fair to suggest that ESL Speakers might be a bit too much for it, and are able to show a little more power would be beneficial. 

Without any hesitation look for a LSA Voyager GaN 350. Stock units can be found used under $2K, BUT, there is/was one FS in Melbourne FL that was modified by Ric Schultz at a great price.

I would try replacing the caps, even if they have to be a different brand. Then you can listen to the amp to see if it still sounds great in your system. If that doesn’t work, I agree with @thomaskong78. Try out try an Orchard Audio amp for free. @orchardaudio is running an amp tour. Sign up on their website. You get to listen a week for free then ship it to the next person on the list. I tried the amp and bought one. Can’t beat hearing the amp on your system. I’ve always been intrigued by the Obelisks. Hope to hear a set someday.

Good luck,

aldnorab

I’ve been to a couple shows years ago that had Shahinian speakers featured and they were always coupled with high powered Bedini amps, so I believe he voices his speakers with those amps.

I believe the large Bedini’s may be Mosfet amps so I would also consider a PS Audio 200C or 200CX, B&K EX442 Sonata, Moscode 300, VSP TransMos 150, or Tandberg amp as older amps on the more reasonable end - and yes, I am happily stuck in the 80’s when it comes to amplifiers :)

I agree that the OP should try to fix amp first. Otherwise Odyssey amps are great performers maybe a bargain at their price points:

https://odysseyaudio.com