Looking for amp $1000 or under

Can anyone suggest a amp for Focal Aria 926 Speakers, I'm using a PS Audio HCA-2 now but not completely satisfied with the sound stage ,it sounds good for acoustic music but with rock music the sound gets blended too much. there is no standout like the vocals get drowned out .
thanks Ron D.
pizzamn57
Post removed 
A used McCormack should fit the bill.
And, you can have it upgraded by SMcAudio, if you like it.
I might also consider a used Adcom 555. They were built like tanks and the sound wasn't bad at all.

Bob
Your HCA-2 can be a very nice amp with a very few mods. It has its flaws in stock form but after mod is a totally different amp.  I own a HCA-2 with full blown Reference Audio Mods from back in the day and love it.  I also owned a McCormack DNA-1 with rev-A mods about 10 years ago. If I had to pick one it may be HCA-2. All that needs to be done is change signal caps, power supply caps and rewire with Duelund wire or any nice silver solid core wire and new binding post, get that Monster cable out of there. If you can't solder pay someone it's an easy job. You can pick up another HCA-2 for 4 or $500, mod it and the one you own for under $500 and then by amp. I'm running HCA-2 with Bruce Moore Preamp with Joseph Audio speakers in a second system and listen to it more than my main system, it's that good. Don't underestimate your amp.

Are you leaving amp on 24/7 if not it sounds like crap. I've never seen an amp take so long to come around after sitting up like HCA-2. McCormack and other a/b amps took 1 to 2 days to warm up. HCA-2 can take 4 to five which I've never seen an amp take that long. If you don't have a good power conditioner it sounds bad. I use a passive conditioner. 

Thank you for all your suggestions. Paul can you tell me where and the parts I need to get for the modifications?
Thanks 
Ron D.
Sure, if you want to give it a shot start off just changing out the 4 signal coupling caps. 2 caps are run in series for each channel to total 4 signal caps. Back when this amp was being modded everyone was using black gates but they are no longer available. You could consider Audio Note caps. Contact Chris at Parts Connextion he may be able to guide you with the best cap choice and new internal wire. Also Jeff at Sonicraft can help. Call PS Audio they will email you the schematics. Total cost can't cost more than $100 or so for caps and wire. Those stock signal caps are cheap junk so is stock monster wire. Google PS Audio HCA-2 Reference Audio Mods Audio Circle or anything with modding the PS Audio HCA 2, there is a lot of info out there. Another tweak to help smooth out hca2 is to remove the bolt holding down the tordal transformer, it is noticeable but subtle. if you do remove bolt just be careful when moving amp around. If you do this and like what you hear then move on to changing out power supply caps.

Get schematics from ps Audio they have awesome customer service and the answer phone and will send you schematics on the spot. Then email schematics to parts Connextion and Sonicraft and they will guide you through mod.

It might not be a bad idea to mention the pre amp as well, it will have something to say about the end result.  I’m also wondering about the cabling, or at least the speaker cables.  Hopefully pizzamn is using more than just lamp cord.
I Have a Marantz SR7010, Bluesound Node 2i, audio art speaker cables and audioquest RCA connectors. Can anyone recommend someone who can do the mod on the amp?
thanks,
Ron D
Ron are you using marantz as a preamp to your ps audio amp? If so that may be the problem. If so pre and hca2 don't match up impedance properly. If you can find a preamp within your budget first that is route I would go. Tube Preamps mates well with hca2. Maybe an old Conrad Johnson, Audible Illusion or something on the warm side with a full big sound. Sell hca 2 and get a hybrid tube 

I've got Focal Chorus 807V's and while they are 92 db, they really like some power.  I was running them with a high current 100 watt Muse 100 amp and it was very nice.  You can pick up a Muse 100 for $4-500.  For $1000 you can get a nice Threshold, Sonographe SA400, or PS Audio 200CX.
Ron, I think that is your problem. I did that long ago, my Preamp was in the shop being upgraded and ran an Integra receiver pre out to an the McCormack DNA and was unlistenable. Just weak and bland, no soundstage. If you have under $1000 to spend on new amp I would start with a new preamp. Are there any audio shops in your area that would let you home demo a preamp to confirm this may be your issue just for your piece of mind.

Sounds like a good plan. Your PS Audio has an input impedance of 100k. Usually good rule of thumb to start off with is 1 to 10 ratio when picking a preamps output impedance . Just tell the shop you are demoing a preamp your amps input is 100k. If they won't let you home demo bring your amp to there shop. Once you determine marantz Preamp is your problem find a nice used tube Preamp to match with your hca2.

OP. Have you considered an integrated amp? Lots of good stuff out there in that price range.
you might want to check out the 2 channel monoprice monolith amp. made for monoprice by the very respected amp company ATI. really good specs and a 5 year warranty with 30 day trial period. I’m considering this one myself.