Looking for a true upgrade in sound quality

I currently stream Qobuz and Tidal through my Lumin T2. I have had this about 4 years. I have AT&T fiber optic internet to the house the ethernet cable direct to the Lumin. About 30' of cable from the router to the device. I was thinking of using the Lumin only as a streamer and adding a conceivably better DAC. Is this a legit way to go about a more resolving sound. To my ears there is a slight veil over everything and maybe a little etched overall, bass response is great. I was also hoping for a recommendation for the DAC if this is a good option. $6,000 budget new or used is fine. I have had very good luck with used equipment over the years. Thanks, Allen.

backwash

Backwash

++1 Soix, EVERYTHING matters

If you are on the DAC upgrade path, I doubt you could do better than a Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC (NOT the Terminator II as the Plus is a large upgrade).

There is one right now used for $4,900 on US Audio Mart, which has a list price of $7,600. It is a little over 2 years old, so the model has many of the latest upgrades....and the firmware is upgradeable via a flash. Also the unit has a 3 year fully transferrable warranty, so has a little under a year left on the warranty

If I had the money, and the DAC was my next upgrade, I would buy that unit (and I am a long time Denafrips owner of several of their products)

The rest of my system is pretty decent. It consists of a Modwright KWH 225I integrated, Tyler Acoustic Woodmere II speakers, an OPPO 105 for disks, Panasonic SP 10 TT with Dynavector SUT and Ortofon MC10 cart. All synergistic Reasearch Tessla apex cabling. Stereo Rythmic F12 subs. Room is lightly treated with GIC bass traps in front corners and some homemade absorption at first reflection points. The veiled portion of the sound is in the mid to upper midrange. Thanks, Allen.

This does not sound a whole lot like an issue with the digital front end or your Lumin (that threw a veil).

For starters, try plugging in your dac analog out into the different inputs of the Modwright amp, swap inputs with whatever you had your TT plugged into, etc.

Are you real sure that your TT isn’t sounding a bit veiled too dude? Are your ears being a lil extra forgiving there with the TT for some reason? Eitherway...the confoundance here is that a TT/phono stage plugged into the same flaky hybrid amp sounding fine is not a full guarantee that your amp has no issues (source output V being a lil different).

It is generally a good idea for any audiophile to have an extra pair of speakers, an extra amp, dacs, etc sitting around in storage to swap/identify/diagnose things easier by process of elimination. If you don’t, borrow/swap a SS amp (with no tubes in it whatsoever this time) from another guy in town and determine if it is a Modwright or a flaky Modwrong. I bet the Modwrong didn’t give you a input trim feature either.

No mention of acoustic treatments, speaker placement, or straight up better speakers?

+1 @soix , assuming a transparent enough audio chain and hearing capability to match

Agree that the OP should try a filter first, then new DAC, then maybe streamer upgrade.

some DAC s with very favorable reviews:

• 2.3 Doge 7 MkII tube DAC
  • -2.6 Ferrum Wandla - HR competes w 10k DAC +1.2 HYPSOS power supply
  • -2.7 LAiV Harmony DAC
  • 3.0 Musician Aquarius - sounds like a $5k DAC
  • 4.3 Denafrips Terminator [BNC in XLR out](But USB in best per AudioBacon)
  • 4.5 Wired4Sound DAC-2v2SE
  • -5.0 Audio-GD R7HE MK2
  • 5.6 Kitsune Hifi May-KTE.
  • *6.6 Lampizator Baltic 4 (punches way above price point- beats KTE).
  • -6.8 Bel Canto Ex1 DAC (Transparent)
  • -7.1 T+A DAC200
  • 7.3 Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP,

@backwash

You can try our WRT cable. The main bottleneck of the current audio system is the interconnect. This is true for every system, without exception. After solving this bottleneck, the sound quality of the audio system will have a big leap. So every one of our users has a surprising discovery after using the WRT cable. Try it, you have nothing to lose. Try it and find out how your audio system will sound better after the bottleneck is eliminated. You can read the article "Peculiarities of the Audio System" to learn why the audio system needs to use the WRT cable.
After trying the WRT cable, you can share your actual experience here.