Looking for a true upgrade in sound quality

I currently stream Qobuz and Tidal through my Lumin T2. I have had this about 4 years. I have AT&T fiber optic internet to the house the ethernet cable direct to the Lumin. About 30' of cable from the router to the device. I was thinking of using the Lumin only as a streamer and adding a conceivably better DAC. Is this a legit way to go about a more resolving sound. To my ears there is a slight veil over everything and maybe a little etched overall, bass response is great. I was also hoping for a recommendation for the DAC if this is a good option. $6,000 budget new or used is fine. I have had very good luck with used equipment over the years. Thanks, Allen.

backwash

Allen @backwash

You have a very nice and capable DAC in T2 and rest of the system. As @baylinor and I suggested, install a passive filter ahead of T2 and you should hear noticeable improvement with streaming. I have a DAC that uses ESS Sabre Chips; nothing but very natural, refine, wide and deep soundstage. I also am using a very high quality Ethernet switch ahead of DAC + Streamer so that helps tremendously.

As others mentioned, particularly in your situation the first thing I’d do is try a filter before your Lumin.  This SmoothLAN filter has been getting pretty rave reviews on another thread here, and at $254 with a trial period I’d consider this an absolute no brainer to try.  
https://stackaudio.co.uk/product/smoothlan-network-filter/

After that and if still looking for further improvements I’d try a Lampizator DAC although there are many other outstanding choices at your budget from Bricasti, Weiss, T+A, Meitner, etc. that would all likely provide a significant and very meaningful upgrade to the DAC in your Lumin.  Hope this helps, and best of luck.

We were a Lumin dealer for many years the t2was never veiled it does benefit from footers the critical mass Centerstages work wonders also are you using convert to dsd or pcm in the Lumin menu?

also the t2 is a decent but not great streamer

dave and Troy

audio intellect NJ

former Lumin dealers