Long run XLR cables

Are there significant improvements to be gained by using home audio specific cables versus high quality pro audio cables such as Mogami or Monster. I don’t like frittering money away unnecessarily but I recently switched my main cables from Mogami gold to SVS soundpath when I need new subwoofer cables and I noticed a slight veil over the sound when I switched. Any thought and insights would be appreciated.

johnnybwood

I am using Blue Jean cables lowest cost XLR's for 18 ft run. They use the same connectors as the more expensive brands. 

Another vote for Mogami gold. It's a fantastic baseline to test other cables to. Mogami also has a non-DIY Platinum version which is a couple gauge larger + higher end connectors

When i work w recording engineers - granted it is a relatively small orbit but growing… i get a LOT of eye rolls when they see the two “ exotic “ XLR cables i bring to the female vocal or Piano microphone selection trial…  ( MIC to Pre > Pre to X )…. Then if the mics are Royer or better…. those eye rolls turn into ;-)… Except when the artist or producer likes studio built Mogami… 

Also…just a bit OFF topic… bring along a great LPS for the other bits in the chain….

Note - the circle i mention are working in the realism zone of audio recording vs DAW synthesis ( this is not a qualitative statement, just clarity )

Of course, i carry Magami as spares / backup - a superb and durable value.

If a system is differentially balanced, then expensive XLR interconnects should not sound differently from Mogami or Gotham Cable or Canare XLR interconnects.

If components are not differentially balanced, or transformer coupled, then all bets are off.